HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Looking for a wireless solution using Audio Optical

by jschwindler / May 29, 2015 2:27 AM PDT

I have what appears to be a unique situation. I am attempting to set up a projector with a sound bar in my living room. The audio/video source is a PS4 (equipped with audio optical output), and the video will be HDMI into the projector.

I cannot get cable to the projector location, which lead me down the wireless path.

The challenge I am facing is finding a component that accepts audio optical in, and will transmit to the sound bar. I have tried scouring the internet for bluetooth components and most recently looked into Sonos Hi-Fi to take advantage of the Wi-Fi network. All dead ends.

If Sony would open the native Bluetooth capabilities on the PS4 allowing me to pair a sound bar, my problem would be solved.

Anyone have any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for a wireless solution using Audio Optical
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for a wireless solution using Audio Optical
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Why not use HDMI for the audio?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2015 2:38 AM PDT
Collapse -
Wire is the issue
by jschwindler / May 29, 2015 2:54 AM PDT

I cannot get any wire (HDMI or other) going from the sound bar to the PS4 or projector. The projector and PS4 will be behind the couch, and the screen and sound bar 15 feet away on the other side of the room. There is a power outlet for the sound bar, but thats it.

PS4 audio Optical out -> (mystery component) -> (wireless connection) -> sound bar located under screen

PS4 Video HDMI -> Projector

Collapse -
cannot get any wire (HDMI or other) going from the sound bar
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2015 3:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Wire is the issue
Collapse -
Why the projector matters.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2015 3:18 AM PDT

I would consider putting the audio Bluetooth transmitter up there on the audio out jack of the projector. It has power up there, and all the projectors I've used that have HDMI in have an analog stereo out.
Bob

Collapse -
Nope, and this is why
by Pepe7 / May 29, 2015 3:30 AM PDT

The projector should be used only for video. Why? It's more desirable to avoid another 'monkey in the middle', especially with audio that can lead to delays. Also, more importantly, because the PS4 is capable of simultaneous signal output from HDMI & it's native digital optical output. The logistics of the soundbar make this the only way it's going to work. The audioengine product I cited above will work better than BT too since there won't be any audio delay or muffled sound, and it doesn't require wifi.

Collapse -
PS4 audio is full of monkeys.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2015 3:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Nope, and this is why

Sony must of admitted defeat on lag induced by BlueTooth (BT.) For me I don't care for BT audio. Not only is there lag but many products BEEP! loudly on startup/connect etc.

Receivers sort of deal with this lag by letting us adjust it back so lip sync isn't so bad.

But here is a PS4 but no story if they plan to game. If they game I bet they will scream about the lag later. Fix? Just move the soundbar or such to the back of the coach.
Bob

Collapse -
It's pretty straightforward to split audio/video
by Pepe7 / May 29, 2015 4:30 AM PDT

Until I hear specifics about a gaming requirement though, I'm not going to bother even bringing that up Wink

cheers

Collapse -
*Which* projector? (make/model please)
by Pepe7 / May 29, 2015 3:10 AM PDT

That way I can assist.

cheers

Collapse -
Epson
by jschwindler / May 29, 2015 10:21 AM PDT

Model number H311A

Collapse -
If I know the soundbard make/model...
by Pepe7 / May 29, 2015 3:19 AM PDT
Collapse -
This too
by Pepe7 / May 29, 2015 3:27 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.