Laptops forum

General discussion

Looking for a smaller type of gaming laptop.

by BUMP THAT / February 9, 2007 9:51 PM PST

I am looking for a small gaming notebook. In terms of small I mean around 15" display. I need gaming because I do lots of media and not just gaming. Photoshop, and the other creative apps etc...

I have been looking at the ASUS G1 for some time and wanted to know others thoughts on it. For my budget I think this one may be a good choice. My budget is ~$2,000

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for a smaller type of gaming laptop.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for a smaller type of gaming laptop.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
About Photoshop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2007 11:18 PM PST

I never found 3D cards to help there. Is there something else going on? Also video editing gets all of a sub percent boost on 3D cards so that's no payoff.

-> If you follow the forums you read a discussion where it explains why 3D gaming laptops tend to weigh more and get large. It has to do with more power consumption and thus more heat dissipation as well as bigger batteries to get it back over an hour of run time.

In the US the ASUS is not a player due to lack of service centers so we don't see those often. Here's my thought. Go try some 2.0 and up GHz Core 2 Duo units and see what you think.

Bob

Collapse -
Brand
by BUMP THAT / February 10, 2007 12:58 AM PST

What brand would you recommend? I hate HP for there service and I hate sony for their problems with hardware compatibility.

Collapse -
What I'm looking at, what my dad has.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2007 3:23 AM PST
In reply to: Brand

I'm spotting those Lenovo's as possible units to step up to, then again that Mac Pro is haunting me (do I or not?) My dad picked up a nicely equipped Toshiba for the just above 1K mark.

I don't know about HP service. No complaints around here except owners that expected data recovery support and 24 hour repairs.

Bob

Collapse -
have you tried looking at...
by JackTheCrow / February 10, 2007 3:50 AM PST

..the asus A8Js?

at 14.1 inches and 5 lbs and still equipped with the nvidia go 7700, it's proably got the best power-to-weight ratio around.

Collapse -
Thank You
by BUMP THAT / February 12, 2007 2:49 AM PST

I will take a look. Happy Small screen size will not be an issue for me. I am more worried about size of the laptop than screen real estate or weight.

Alienware seems to be over priced for some of its stuff but I will give it a look as well.

I will post back later on my thoughts. Happy

Collapse -
I would suggest..
by StargateFan / February 10, 2007 12:26 PM PST

You look into the Alienware Sentia m3450. It has a 14.1 inch screen but it is a thin and light multimedia pc. It features an Intel Core 2 Duo processor up to 2GB (alright) of memory 677mhz. DVD RW, etc.

However many users will tell you to stay away from Alienware because of their terrible support base, quality of system upon arrival, and repair techniques and procedures. However if you feel confident in these area's this is definately a pc you should take a look at. Good Luck

Collapse -
What about Alienware's support record?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2007 9:07 PM PST
In reply to: I would suggest..

It's legendary and not a good one. They don't appear to have spare parts for machines just out of warranty.

Bob

Collapse -
Took A look
by BUMP THAT / February 12, 2007 9:15 AM PST
In reply to: I would suggest..

The Sentia doesnt seem to impressive for its price. Even if I go full out on it I am sure there is a better notebook at that price. Happy

Collapse -
(NT) Agreeded
by StargateFan / February 12, 2007 10:45 AM PST
In reply to: Took A look
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.