General discussion

Looking for a simple Ebook reader

Silly question perhaps, in particular here, but that's exactly what I would ask Santa Claus for: a tiny thing that fits in my hand on which I can read the Ebooks I already own or the ones I choose to download to my PC.
No WiFi then, no colors, no internet browsing, no news, no music, no games, no beer tap... just a small gadget to replace a paper book (or maybe a few thousand paper books) when I'm away from home.
In particular, being at the moment the not-so-happy owner of a Kindle 4, I'd like to avoid that someone may peek over my shoulder to see what I'm reading or may tamper with my files without my consent.
So far I got rid of that eventuality by lobotomizing my Kindle (just a matter of removing two small capacitors thus gagging the WiFi), but in the course of the operation a few small plastic latches broke down and fell off, so I had to close the patient with duct tape and now I have to refresh the duct tape every couple of weeks Sad

Still, if Santa Claus didn't run out of patience before such an unreasonable wish of mine, I'd ask him also to be able to arrange my books in a tree-like fashion without having to juggle half-an-hour with Calibre.

And if he didn't tell me to go to Hell and stay there until further notice, I'd beg him too for the possibility of correcting small typos (or scanning errors) there and then before I forget them, even if I'm on a plane and the nearest instance of Sigil is several thousand miles away.

Am I asking too much? Most likely yes. But I remember from an unspecified book on Murphy's law a very nice "don't believe in miracles, rely on them ". Happy

Is anyone here conversant with miracles?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Looking for a simple Ebook reader
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Looking for a simple Ebook reader
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
The thing is.

That while I've seen such the quality is so low that I will not buy them. You can find ereaders that don't have such but check the reviews and it's no sale for me.

Why must you modify the Kindle when it does have a WiFi off setting? That way you control that when you need it?

Also, there are some thousand android tablets that do ereader duty just fine. I hear you about the other requirements but such a device may be rare or low quality. Just flip the off switch on the WiFi and we're done.
Bob

- Collapse -
So, handheld?
- Collapse -
better safe than sorry

Hi Bob,

<Why must you modify the Kindle when it does have a WiFi off setting? That way you control that when you need it?>

Because when you turn off the light in your room you simply cut the power to the bulb whereas when you tell a Kindle to turn off the WiFi you merely issue a command to the firmware; whether then the firmware really executes it or just pretends to depends on how seriously it has been written.
And no, I definitely wouldn't trust a firmware written by (or for) a company so morbidly interested in nosing into my own business.

Paranoid? Maybe. But better paranoid than sorry Happy

<why must="" you="" modify="" the="" kindle="" when="" it="" does="" have="" a="" wifi="" off="" setting?="" that="" way="" control="" need="" it?=""></why>

- Collapse -
Sony Reader

I can recommend to buy a sony reader. I had a kindle before, the reader itself is doing a great job but the software and everything that forces you exactly to do everything as Amazon wants it drove me mad.

I bought one of the sony ones and know I can download ebooks wherever I want and there is no direct link between device and any kind of software. Though I think it can be kinda hard to find a device without wifi, in my device this is always turned off and I could not imagine how they could use my data as I don't have any accounts linked to my reader.

- Collapse -
Visit online websites

if you want to some read simple ebook reader then you can surf on internet with this keywords "free simple ebook reader" you can find some good ebooks as per your topics.

- Collapse -
Amazon

Well, everything depends on budget, and as it was said it's better to look through the reviews on the websights, than to chose one.

- Collapse -
(NT) Today, the cheapest I've seen to date. 9.99 on Woot.com
- Collapse -
Simple...but so handy

If you're a voracious reader and the most important for you in your e-reader is how long your battery works - you have to think about Kobo e-reader. Very handy and reliable in terms of battery. Whether you are at the airport or just on your business trip - make sure this reading tool is indispensable for vivid reader.

CNET Forums