Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

looking for a semi-professional video editing software

by hasanrulz / July 27, 2007 2:31 PM PDT

i am looking for a semi-professional video editing software, that might compare itself to Final Cut Express. i need some recommendations from softwares from Ulead, pinnacle, adobe or sth else.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: looking for a semi-professional video editing software
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: looking for a semi-professional video editing software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry, nothing compares well.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2007 10:32 PM PDT

But you can look at the demos (free!) from Sony Vegas and Ulead.com

Then you can decide what you like.

Bob

Collapse -
Same question
by tubaloth / September 11, 2007 12:50 AM PDT

I was going to post the same thing.
Every so often I have enough footage to create a DVD. Nothing really professional just vacations and family stuff. But I also like to be pretty creative with the DVD. What is the BEST home use program for creating DVD?s. Is seems like each program that I have tried (free trial) does something?s very well but lacks in other areas (or doesn?t do it at all). Example: I downloaded the trial of DVD MovieFactory

Collapse -
(NT) Then why not iMovie?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2007 1:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Same question
Collapse -
PC
by tubaloth / September 11, 2007 7:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Then why not iMovie?

Do they make iMovie for a PC? I have near heard of it.

Collapse -
No they don't
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2007 7:44 AM PDT
In reply to: PC

Many wish they did and may move to an Apple just to get the great applications there.

Bob

Collapse -
Unless iMovie has improved a lot since I used it, it leaves
by Kiddpeat / September 11, 2007 10:14 AM PDT
In reply to: PC

LOT to be desired.

The Studio version of Sony Vegas is substantially better than iMovie, but it is not free or included in the operating system. I have not used the built-in Windows movie maker to compare to iMovie. However, iMovie is a bit limited, so I would not assume that it is better than the Windows application.

Collapse -
By the Way, Sony Vegas is a video editor. It is not a DVD
by Kiddpeat / September 11, 2007 10:19 AM PDT

authoring package. The authoring package (menus, etc.) is a separate application which may, or may not, be included with the editor. I don't remember any authoring capability in iMovie. Nero, Roxio, etc. have authoring capability.

Collapse -
Yes I know
by tubaloth / September 12, 2007 1:43 AM PDT

I have used Sony Vegas and it sure did have a lot of options. (and it cost a lot) That part it did well, but like you say you have to find another program to build a menu and chapters around the video you already did.
I have Premiere Elements 2.0 and over all not bad until you have to create a menu. (some features are kind of dumbed down because they want you to get the Premiere Pro).

The best one I have used so far probably was Premiere Pro 2.0. But it seems like again to take full advantage of all the features I need other Adobe Products (like PhotoShop and so forth). I don't know if Adobe Encore has a menu building capacity, this is probably the only one I haven't tried. (next to iMovie or Final Cut).

I also us to use an old version of Pinnacle, that came with my DVD burner. Not bad for beginners but the version I used had a lot of bugs, and seems kind of bloated. I don?t know if that has been fixed. But it was easy to create the DVD with it.

Maybe Corel buying up some of these DVD program companies well come out with one Super product.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?