TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

looking for a power-saving or PC-controlled audio receiver

by Bootyology / November 11, 2010 2:15 AM PST

I've got an old pioneer receiver that I have powering my room speakers. I like to be able to control the volume of my music with my PC, so in order to maintain this control and convenience I have to leave the receiver on all the time at a high volume.

I'm starting to become conscious about the amount of power I'm drawing, so I was wondering if either of the following two types of products exist

1. A receiver or speaker amplifier that monitors the audio signal and cuts off power accordingly (a power saving receiver).

2. A receiver/amplifier whose power [volume level] can somehow be controlled via software installed on my computer

I am aware that I could just get a remote for the receiver and use that. I'm trying to avoid this and will only use it if no suitable alternative exists.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: looking for a power-saving or PC-controlled audio receiver
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: looking for a power-saving or PC-controlled audio receiver
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If power saving
by givemeaname / November 11, 2010 6:18 AM PST

Is the issue, turn off the computer, having a computer on just to control the volume is ridiculous too me. Get a remote like the rest of us & if range is an issue get a IR repeater they are cheap.

Collapse -
thanks
by Bootyology / November 11, 2010 11:04 AM PST
In reply to: If power saving

the computer is the source of the music. it isn't there just to control the volume of the receiver; if it could do that then I wouldn't be having this problem. I already said I will get a remote if i can't find one of the alternatives i'm looking for. Why would you even respond?

Collapse -
I responded
by givemeaname / November 11, 2010 12:32 PM PST
In reply to: thanks

Because that is the answer... a remote.
YOU NEVER SAID that your music was on the PC just that you used the computer to control the audio volume... Get a MP3 player & save the music too it with the highest bit rate then you do not need the PC on all the time & use a remote for volume.

Collapse -
thanks
by Bootyology / November 12, 2010 2:42 AM PST
In reply to: I responded

i am aware that a remote is one possibility, i've already said that it's going to be the backup solution, twice. Why waste your breath insisting that I use it?

I asked if specific types of products existed, not for someone to take license in interpreting my needs, look down on me, and tell me how to live my life. What was i thinking posting to cnet forums...

Collapse -
Your not going
by givemeaname / November 12, 2010 6:37 AM PST
In reply to: thanks

To get any help here with your attitude.

Your 1st post was lacking info about the origin of the music & many other things about your setup (mostly everything). Options 1 & 2 do not exist, the 3rd, a remote, is the only one, so instead of no one replying, leaving you in the dark, I gave you the answer & you did not like it, that is on you.

Remote
Remote
Remote
Remote
Remote.... & a MP3 player to store the music for the stereo + a cheap 3.5mm phone jack to left/right RCA cable too hook the MP3 player to the left/right jacks on the stereo.

Oh and how did I tell you to "live your life"??????

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?