TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Looking for a new TV

by lisa_blakey / April 20, 2007 7:58 AM PDT

We have not gotten to brands yet because we can't tell what will give us the best bang for our buck without killing our pockets. Can someone please explain the pros and cons of LCD, Plasma, HDTV, and any other acronym I am missing? I have noticed some combos out there (i.e. Plasma HDTV). Are the combos better? Can you get HDTV alone or is it a feature? Does having HDTV, LCD, or Plasma automatically mean that you now have digital? Is HDTV a fancy term for digital? Basically, it seems something new comes out every other week and I am drowning in information.

I think it would be easy for you if I tell you what we are looking for, and hopefully you can tell us where to look. We can decide on brand names later. We want to spend no more than $1500, and we want as many inches as that money will get without loosing picture quality. We want anti-glare if it exists. Most importantly we want flat panel/monitor (or whatever it is called that lets you mount the TV on the wall)

Any and all help is greatly appreciated

Thank you

P.S. if I need to give more info, please tell me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for a new TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for a new TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
a LITTLE clarification...
by Dabonka1 / April 20, 2007 9:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Looking for a new TV

HDTV is a broadcast standard... usually means either 720p or 1080i/p

Standard {SDTV} broacasts are normally 480i.

TV's come in different technologies types...
DLP {digital Light processing} is a form of rear projection.
LCD {Liquid Crystal Display} flat panel.
Plasma {plasma sandwiched between glass} flat panel.

Each has its pro's and cons'... you should generally start here>>>
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-7608_7-1016109-1.html?tag=dir

Good Luck,
John Dabonka

Collapse -
42 inch plasma-LCD are much more expensive
by jimbooffa / April 20, 2007 9:21 AM PDT

Then you will need about 150 for the wall mount. If you can do the install your self, you will save about $500. I did it myself, but still had to spend some dollars on equipment (stud finder, laser level, wall fish, romex cable, etc.) Buy your HDMI cables on line. Upconverting DVD player $150ish.

Collapse -
Things to consider
by HTHMAN / April 20, 2007 11:31 AM PDT

Size: If you are at 8-9 feet, a 42" screen is about right. at 9-10 feet or more, you will be happier with at least a 50" screen. In general you get more screen for your dollar with a plasma vs an LCD panel. Anything over 50" in flat panel is way out of your budget range. You have probably limited yourself to a 42" or smaller LCD. The new LCDs are mostly 1080p so you might be able to find a larger 720p at a good price. Either relsolution is fine a normal distances and most plasmas are 720p too.

Your room: If you are in a bright and reflective room where windows will reflect in the screen, an LCD will be a better choice as Plasmas have a flat glass screen that reflects like a mirror. LCDs are non-reflective plastic. In a non-reflective room that is either bright or dark, in general the Plasma will give you a better picture.

Other considerations: If you are going to wall mount, the plasma is going to be 1.5 to 2 times as heavy as the LCD. Remember that even if you wall mount, you have a bunch of wires that will either need to be hidden or run through the wall for a neat installation. It might be cheaper and easier to find a nice stand or cabinet for your components and just set the TV on it. Plasmas run hotter and use more electricity than an LCD (big deal-just turn off a couple lights and you save the difference)

Picture quality: Plasmas in general have a more natural looking picture and better details in the black levels. LCDs are coming close to plasmas in that area. I think the colors on an LCD look more brilliant than on a plasma. Both are very good looking sets. I have one of each and enjoy both pictures. Personal preference plays a big factor here. I think some things look better on my LCD and others on the plasma.

Price: With your 1500 dollar budget, you can get a fine 42" Plasma, but will not be able to get a top quality LCD. You will get more for your money with the Plasma. Check out the Panasonic 60U and 600U series in the 42" and 50" models. They are deeply discounted now and you should be able to get the 42" and have some money left for accessories. If you up the budget a little, you might swing a 50".

Cables: Do not let them sell you overpriced cables. Check out Sam's club and Walmart. I saw the same brand at Sam's and Circuit city and Sam's was less than half the price. Aim around 20 bucks for an HDMI cable for example.

Viewing: When you view the sets in the store, that is not what they will look like at home. They are set overly brilliant to attract you. Instead, compare sharpness, eveness of color, look for false contouring(also called banding etc-look it up) and pixelation. Do not get hung up on the color, you will have to adjust it when you get home. Look for details in dark scenes. Read the reviews.

Good luck and enjoy

Collapse -
Is it true that plasmas have more future hidden costs?
by lisa_blakey / April 20, 2007 12:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Things to consider

Like they have to be recharged every few years, they can't be put on their sides (i.e. hung from ceiling), or if they break it is more cost effective to get a new one. What does it cost (generally speaking of course) to take care of a plasma vs a lcd

Collapse -
No
by HTHMAN / April 20, 2007 2:51 PM PDT

The plasma does not leak out and you do not change the oil or rotate the tires. You transport it upright. Are you planning to put it on the ceiling? Both plasma and LCD have an estimated 60,000 hour screen life.

Collapse -
Have you checked out the HDTV Buying Guide on this site??
by jimca3 / April 20, 2007 2:34 PM PDT
Collapse -
LISA STOP LOOK AND LISTEN
by stewart norrie / April 21, 2007 2:42 AM PDT

Before you even think about buying a t.v. There are facts you should know. This t.v. will be a window to the world, Movies will look as sweet as a movie theater Sports will be like you are the game not just watching it Nature like Discovery h.d. theater will amaze you with its beauty of the world. So consider this my opinion only, Screen size is so important.I would go no smaller than 50" WHY this size screen will give you a true movie theater experience, also you wont have to squint your eyes to see the small detial, After awhile folks regret buying a small size screen, Next you will want quality h.d. programming that only hi-def cable or satellite can provide, When you order the hi-def package usually a small extra fee you will have wounderful programming to choise from Then last after awhile you are going to hate the sound of those small cheap t.v. speakers so the last item is going to be a sweet 5.1 sound system. There you go you now have a movie palace in your home. That will give you years of pure joy.So the first step is ask friends find a salesman thats honest and knows what he is talking about, Go to hi-end home theater stores and ask questions. this home theater thing could be a real fun project for you also c.net is a good place to get information. please post back to us for help and good luck stewe

Collapse -
OKEY.........$1,500, NO MORE, LARGEST PLASMA OR LCD.......
by Riverledge / April 21, 2007 6:25 PM PDT

THE PANASONIC Plasma TH-50PX60U; or for about $1,900 the TH-50PX600U.

Best buys out there right yet!

river.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.