Tablets forum

Question

looking for a new tablet for movies

by nadav1983 / September 5, 2013 9:30 PM PDT

hi all,

I'm looking to buy a tablet where I could watch movies online and offline, and if possible transfer movies into the tablet using usb or something.
would appreciate the help.

Thanks all.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: looking for a new tablet for movies
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: looking for a new tablet for movies
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
About transfer and "something."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2013 12:38 AM PDT

Unless we get a Windows 8 Pro tablet all other tablets have limited video decoding capability. The iPad is slightly better in that it has VLC Player http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-ios.html writes:
"VLC for iOS can play all your movies and shows in most formats directly without conversion.
You can synchronize media to your device using WiFi Upload, iTunes, Dropbox, or direct downloads from the web."

Your post makes me think you might wand the iPad, Windows 8 Pro tablets because for Android most folk explode on the launch pad as the video does not play without conversion.

Beware the Android lovers that will play this down.
Bob

Collapse -
by nadav1983 / September 7, 2013 11:51 PM PDT

thanks for the reply but i didnt really get what you mean, could you explain a little bit more regarding the one you suggest.
I need it to be able to play flash movies online(my kid bro likes anime) and if possible that it will have a usb so I can transfer movies into it.
someone recommended thw galaxy note 10.1 what do you guys think?

thanks

Collapse -
You changed your criteria in your reply.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2013 2:36 AM PDT
In reply to: 11

I brought up a big area that has many new to tablets exploding on the launchpad (my way of expressing consumer horror stories about them having to learn how to encode content to play.)

Sorry about the wand typo, I meant want.

If I was looking at the Note 10.1 I'd get the real Android tablet such as the Google Nexus 10. Samsung's tinkering with the OS puts me off and weird things happen.

Try both on the content you want to play.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Before buying ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 8, 2013 12:14 AM PDT

I'd ask the shop assistant to show you:
a) the device you want to buy can play a movie from your USB-stick (or something, would you mind if it needed a SD-card in stead of a USB?)
b) it can view two online movies of your choice (be sure to select different formats, Flash being one of them given what you post later)
c) not only can do a) but can also copy the movie to the device before you view it, so you can view it without the USB-stick or something connected (if that's what you want).

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Look at woot.com today.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2013 3:50 AM PDT

And you see one of those 10.1 Sams on clearance.

Collapse -
Answer
New tablet for movies
by Amol555 / September 23, 2013 10:21 PM PDT

Buy Google Nexus 7 is good tablet in market with Quad core processor and it has 1280 x 800 pixels resolution which is good for watching movie.

Collapse -
Answer
Check this out at NEWEGG
by janechristensen / October 20, 2013 11:50 PM PDT

$199, soon to be released, UNU Snakebyte Media Edition 7 Inch tablet from a German company? Here are the specs:
- 1.6 GHz quad-core processor - 2 megapixel front-facing camera and 5 megapixel rear-facing camera
- 1080p@60fps, 1080p@30fps (3D) video decoder
- 1 GB DDR3 RAM and 8 GB on-board flash
- Micro SD slot to expand storage up to 64 GB
- Capacitive 7" touchscreen with 1280x800 HD resolution
- 2 USB ports
- HDMI port
- Bluetooth capability Controller -with a remote control has a QWERTY keypad on the flip side

Collapse -
Answer
Buy a tablet not a phablet
by frank-elijah / October 29, 2013 8:55 PM PDT

If you want to use a tablet to watch movie, I think the screen size can not be too small. People call tablets smaller than 8 inches Phablet. Try to buy a 10.1 inches tablet. Here I recommend PiPo M9 Pro
-10.1" IPS Screen
-Android 4.2
-Quad Core Rockchip RK3188 1.6Ghz
-2GB RAM
-32GB Memory
-3G WCDMA
-Bluetooth
-Wi-Fi
-HDMI
-Dual Camera

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!