Question

looking for a new laptop and need suggestions.

i do lots of genealogy research, some school work and gaming. currently have an acer aspire which i like but it's 5 yrs old and starting to run really hot so i think it's time for a new one.
thanks

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: looking for a new laptop and need suggestions.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: looking for a new laptop and need suggestions.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
I recently updated the sticky @ the CNET Laptop Buying Forum
- Collapse -
laptop suggestions

looking for more of the pros and cons for different brands and there arn't many reviews posted.

- Collapse -
As to brands.

We have Apple and then a fine exceptional maker of the Pansonic Toughbooks then the rest pretty much are dead even when it comes to "brands."

Most folk learn to ignore the brands unless they have been burned by a maker. In my case HP is not on my list to a failure in their service system. I lost a laptop just a few months old and 9 months later I was still without a working laptop. HP seems popular but their lack of service has turned me away from considering their products again.
Bob

- Collapse -
laptop suggestions

that's the way i feel about Dell, i won't pay for tech support

- Collapse -
I'll pay for tech support.

But in this case they changed a motherboard and the machine was non-functional on return. They walked out on me and I took it as a sign that company must be under a lot of stress. The final statement was "we've done all we could do." Imagine the average buyer. They would be very upset. Here I can share my story.

OK, we have a lot of Dells at the office. Nothing bad happens like with the HP as to support.

-> But let's cover "support." Windows and problems with Windows are no longer supported by any maker. Apple has another way to deal with any issues in they have a way to reinstall the OS and keep the user's files and most apps. Microsoft never figured that out. We hope they will someday.

Look at the top 20 laptops at the link. These are what folk are buying and voting as good units.
Bob

CNET Forums