Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

PC Hardware forum

Question

Looking for a new GPU.

by Watakushi721 / May 30, 2013 2:02 PM PDT

For a bit over a year now, I've been running my PC fine with occasional hiccups like having to clean dust out of my graphics card fan to get it to continue to run.
Needless to say, the poor stock GeForce 315 has finally had it's fan permanently putter out.
Can anyone tell me how to check my specs without a GPU or just give me some recommendations of cheap, and preferably dust resistant graphics cards? Somewhere around 50$ is as much as I'd really like to spend on this. I only use it for light gaming and general use.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for a new GPU.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for a new GPU.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
At 50
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 30, 2013 3:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Looking for a new GPU.

It's the usual ATI 5450 1GB card. It should handily beat what you have and not require a new power supply as well fit your budget.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks, I appreciate the suggestion.
by Watakushi721 / June 1, 2013 10:37 AM PDT
In reply to: At 50

I'd just like to be sure, can this run fairly graphics intensive games without overheating with a heatsink alone? My old card could run Planetside without a hiccup, but reviews on what I can find seem to recommend you shy away from things like that. I'm not worried about high settings, just midrange stuff on games such as Planetside, Warframe, Skyrim, etc which worked on my old cheapo card just fine.

Collapse -
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 2, 2013 1:14 AM PDT

You have your budget and at this amount this is the best we can do.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for the help.
by Watakushi721 / June 2, 2013 1:42 AM PDT
In reply to: No.

After a bit of research on power supply constraints, and pricing I've decided on a Radeon HD 6670, rather than a card I'll want to replace soon anyway. Thanks for all your help guiding me here, and have a nice day.

Collapse -
That's a good card.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 2, 2013 1:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the help.

But I've not seen it for 50 bucks. If you did find one at that price be sure it's not some rare model with 512MB RAM. Today I don't think we want less than 1GB video RAM.

Bob

Collapse -
PS. It's on the list.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 2, 2013 1:50 AM PDT
Collapse -
I really liked the 5454
by itsdigger / June 2, 2013 2:06 AM PDT

and was able to play games like Dragon Age Origins and Torchlight 2 with no problems but, being as my Dell is old , shortly later my psu died and I ( with Bob's assistance) replaced it a new higher powered one and put in a new 6670 but I really don't see any difference other than it running cooler. For the money the 5450 was a great choice.....Digger

Collapse -
6670 should have the edge but
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 2, 2013 2:14 AM PDT

But since both are DDR3 memory that crimps the performance back to so close I wonder if it will pay off. The 6670 is usually pretty close to the 5450 price wise at a retail store. However if you catch the 5450 on sale it's very cheap.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!