HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Looking for a new A/V Receiver

by whogg0521 / April 17, 2011 11:58 AM PDT

I'm looking to purchase a new A/V Receiver. I wanted one with more modern inputs/outputs (specifically several HDMI inputs/outputs). I currently have a Sony STR_V555ES Amp I bought 10 years ago that has been rock solid. However, it only has component output and I 'm looking to purchase a new LCD/LED/Plasma TV for our Home Theater room. I love the power and sound from the Sony, but when I purchased it then, it was about $1200. I'm hoping to NOT spend that again this time, but I want the same power levels (~120W at .05% THD). I was looking at some Yamahas and Denons, but wanted to get your thoughts. Thanks in advance for any input you can provide.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for a new A/V Receiver
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for a new A/V Receiver
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
look at these
by givemeaname / April 17, 2011 2:04 PM PDT

HK (Harman Kardon)
Marantz
Onkyo
Yamaha ( I have 2 in the house)
Denon
Pioneer Elite

What speakers do you have? If you need to crank it to around 125watts you need to look at some better speakers or your hearing is going. I have a 125wt per channel reciever (yamaha) I never crank it past 25%, I have JBL speakers.

Collapse -
Answer
Power
by PistonCupChampion / April 17, 2011 2:48 PM PDT

I don't have any recommendations on specific receivers, but one thing I do know is that you shouldn't focus too much on RMS power ratings. It takes a LOT of power for a system to actually sound louder and cleaner, and a receiver with a lower continuous rating but a lot of dynamic headroom will work as well if not better than one with a high continuous rating but little headroom.

Collapse -
response to replies
by whogg0521 / April 18, 2011 7:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Power

Thanks to both of your inputs. I have Polk Speakers and I rarely have to crank the amp at all. I have my sub turned down and I have built in subs in the towers too that i have turned down. I just like having the dynamic room to "take it up a notch" if I choose to do so. I received the same input about Yamaha, Denon, and Onkyo from Crutchfield, but I wanted to see what folks on here said since there wouldn't be any hidden agenda. I will say the recievers they recommended were in the $1300 range as well. If I want to have that much power "on-tap", I may not be able to avoid it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.