HolidayBuyer's Guide

Phones forum

Question

looking for a long-term cell phone that will last for years

by benjaminbradley / July 28, 2013 2:51 PM PDT

I'm frustrated by the lack of long term support in the smartphone industry. I've been burned several times now to the point that I don't even want to shop for a new phone because I know they're all going to be broken and useless in 2 years. I've been loyal to android so far, are the other OSes any better? The industry seems to be obsessed with the 2 year contract and essentially makes disposable phones to match. Surely I'm not the only person asking this question.

The problems I've encountered are instability, app crashes, heat sensitivity (living in Texas), degrading battery life, touchscreen and hardware keyboard glitches, spontaneous reboots, etc.

The basic features that I rely on my phone for have not changed in the past 6+ years (talk, text, calendar & maps). I'd love a phone that will last for 4-5 years. Is there a particular brand or model that will do me right?

Thank in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: looking for a long-term cell phone that will last for years
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: looking for a long-term cell phone that will last for years
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Not gonna happen unfortunately
by Pepe7 / July 29, 2013 12:09 AM PDT

Not only is it not in their best interest to sell such devices, most folks now tend to upgrade more frequently, hence there not being anything remotely close to what you desire. There may be a rogue brick/flip phone that lasts because you use it very little, and lacks processor/battery intensive features like a smartphone.

One question though- What exactly are you doing to these phones? FWIW, almost anything functioning like a computer is going to perform poorly under high heat. Keep them cool and you will see them last.

It would also help to know which actual handsets you were using, and which carrier(s) (to know the firmware/software, etc.).

Collapse -
samsung on sprint
by benjaminbradley / July 29, 2013 1:22 PM PDT

Yeah I feel like I'm swimming upstream here. Ive heard of planned obsolescence and I want to vote against it with my money. Its wasteful and unsustainable.
ive been on sprint throughout. My first smartphone was a samsung moment and my most recent was the samsung galaxy (epic 4g). Does samsung have a bad reputation in phones? I thought they were a pretty solid brand.
I'm not doing anything outside normal operations (I.e. not rooted) and being outside on a hot Texas day not like I'm locking it in my glove box or anything.

Collapse -
Samsung is fine
by Pepe7 / July 30, 2013 2:14 AM PDT
In reply to: samsung on sprint

You just can't abuse these devices, since they are essentially small computers with bunch of different radios crammed inside a tight plastic shell, with an LCD screen bolted on (LOL).

Anything left for too long in the TX sun is in trouble IME down there. 'Hot' doesn't do it justice(!) Wink

Again, be more specific about which models didn't work for you so we know what precisely you are working from.

cheers

Collapse -
Answer
Who's changing?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2013 5:16 AM PDT

I don't want to upset you but the industry is very keen on the 2 year cycle or less. But with that out of the way my GPS is now 7 years old and still working in the car. That seems to be good. I do have an older PalmOS 700p that still works and can do voice and a calendar that seems to be far better than what most smartphones can do. And yes it does SMS text as well. It's over 5 years old. What you want is/was out there but sorry, it was pre-Android and at the time the BlackBerry's did this very well too and a few friends still have 5 year old BBs.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.