Laptops forum

General discussion

Looking for a laptop for university

by gabeguy / April 8, 2006 2:21 AM PDT

Hey everyone,

I'm going to university next year to take engineering and I require a computer. I have decided on a laptop though I am not sure what kind. My dad gets a deal on all Dell products and so he wants me to get a Dell (can probably change his mind though). Money is not a concern.
I am basicly looking for an all around computer. I would like to play computer games in the future, so something that can handle that is good. Current ideas are Dell XPS 170 (or 140), E1705 and Inspiron 9400.

Thanks for any suggestions and help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for a laptop for university
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for a laptop for university
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
one piece of advice
by m.nandini / April 8, 2006 4:20 PM PDT

Well if you are considering having a laptop to have with you around campus to take into classes, the xps m170 may not be your best bet. although it has some good multimedia and game features, it weighs about 9 pounds and the battery life isnt exactly great; not exactly what you want for a carry around laptop. if you decide to go with dell, the m140 may be your better choice.

Collapse -
Good Point
by gabeguy / April 9, 2006 12:39 AM PDT
In reply to: one piece of advice

Your right, didn't really think of weight. Would the Latitude series be more suitable (perhaps D820 or D620)?

Collapse -
Latitude laptops are a very good choice !
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / April 9, 2006 2:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Good Point

But not the D620. It has an integrated graphics controller ( Intel GMA 950 ). Taking the D820 with the nVIDIA QUADRO 110M should be a nice choice.

Collapse -
video card
by gabeguy / April 9, 2006 3:19 AM PDT

so does the "512MB NVIDIA

Collapse -
Yes !
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / April 10, 2006 5:07 AM PDT
In reply to: video card

The Quadro is the "commercial" version of the GeForce Go. But I don't know to which GeForce Go we can compare it. But thje 256 MB is the best choice, 512 MB is too much for nothing I think.

Collapse -
integrated is standard, but you can upgrade to 256mb nVidia
by hickman71 / December 7, 2006 2:14 AM PST

I own two D620s and they both have the 256MB NVIDIA

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) XPS M170 with the bigger battery
by nathanpsz2 / April 8, 2006 10:32 PM PDT
Collapse -
I would take a look at the HP dv5000
by jmhal / April 9, 2006 7:50 AM PDT

It has Intel core duo processors, Nvidia Geforce go 7400 with 128 MB dedicated video memory and is around 6.5 lbs

Collapse -
This should be a great choice

Hp has a very very good after-sale service and a pretty good quality-built.

Also look at the Dell inspiron 6400. it appears to be a nice laptop.

Collapse -
Laptop for Engineering School
by brianpeters / December 7, 2006 3:41 AM PST

I am in my Senior in Aerospace Engineering at the University of Missouri-Rolla. As an engineering student this is what you can expect. You will be taking a lot of notes from lectures and running lots of computer programs that are heavy on the number crunching. These programs will be available on the campus computers but it will be well worth it to get a pc that can handle the work at home. I suggest a tablet PC. Any computer that can handle the number cruching of engineering programs can handle computer games. I would not suggest making a decision based on gameing requirements. I do suggest that you get as much ram as you possibly can, that will take advantage of all of your processors potential. As far as processors I would recommend a dual core. AMD or Intel is your choice. Also get a hard drive at 7200rpm. Beyond that I would get a Printer/copier/scanner all in one unit. It will save you so countless headaches. Many older students will have class files that you will want to copy or scan. I hope that helps. Good luck.

Collapse -
Let's hope that it didnt take 8 months to decide.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2006 3:43 AM PST

Be careful when replying to old posts.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.