General discussion

Looking for a laptop for school, design and light gaming

Hi everyone,
I'm for a laptop to bring to lectures, do some basic photoshop and advanced music composition, and occasional gaming. To make it simpler to read here's what I'm looking for:
- Needs to be light, not too thick, and looks stylish
- Needs to have a moderately good graphics card (no need for high end) since the games I want to try are mostly newer (2006+) games, like Assassin's Creed, Resident Evil 5, Mafia 2, etc, but LOW to MEDIUM settings with no lag is ok, NO NEED FOR HIGH SETTINGS
- Needs to have at least 2-3 hours of battery life with MS Word + Firefox + Powerpoint + Adobe Reader (etc) running
- A 15-16 inch screen
- Preferably can be bought from shops in Canada such as Best Buy and Future Shop
- Preferably under $1000

Brands I'm leaning towards are Sony VAIO and Asus. Lots of friends have Sony VAIO, and the white model looks really stylish, but not sure about its price and specs.
Thanks.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Looking for a laptop for school, design and light gaming
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Looking for a laptop for school, design and light gaming
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
That's a problem.

There is no gaming laptop I've found that gets that many hours of battery TIME. The battery life is the usual 300 or so charges so if you did use such on battery you incur an almost yearly battery replacement.

Any low end GPU will be no more than a battery sucking disaster and I was being kind here.

Try this. Look at getting a laptop for your school needs and leave games on your console and/or desktop.
Bob

- Collapse -
Umm

Umm I'm pretty sure there are lots of mid-range laptops with MODERATELY good graphics cards. I'm not looking for Alienware nor am I looking for i7's or MacBook Pros. If an Intel integrated graphics card can run Crysis on low settings with a framerate of 10-20, then I'm pretty sure any discrete graphics card can run something like Resident Evil 5 on low settings.
Again I'm NOT LOOKING FOR A GAMING LAPTOP. Any laptop that has a 15-16 inch screen, lightweight, and has a discrete graphics card will probably do.

- Collapse -
"an Intel integrated graphics card can"

That would be amazing. But such has not been seen today. For 10 FPS you may as well not install the game. At 20 FPS I see people lamenting the purchase or losing months trying to get 2 or many 3 more FPS. If I was unclear here, all GMA solutions need no consideration for such a game.

And if you look for 15 or 16 inch screens with discrete there are hundreds available. There's little more to be done but to use the Cnet Laptop Buying Advice forum's top post with the laptop pickers.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info