Question

Looking for a laptop for a writer...

I have had my macbook for about... 3 years? Give or take. I loved it, but it is on its last legs. It overheats if I have two tabs open and at least three keys are broken. Good stuff. So I am looking for a new computer, but I'd rather not go with Apple again, if only because the network in my house complains whenever I try to transfer data between my apple and my fiance's computer (a Windows).

Here's what I need:
- a full size keyboard (the side keyboard with the number pad optional)
- a full size left shift key; non-negotiable
- trackpad... buttons... I don't know what you'd call them, but basically, I don't want to have to tap the trackpad to click
- good processor and RAM; I am usually running three or four programs at a time, and likely five or six windows in some of them (I am an editor and writer, so I am often looking at several drafts of a piece at a time)
- webcam and microphone; I use Skype frequently
- built-in wi-fi
- USB ports

Here's what I want, but aren't necessary:
- graphics card
- a screen under 17"
- long battery life while wi-fi is on
- a CD/DVD drive
- good sound; I love my music collection
- good video; I watch TV on my computer often, too

And of all the things, I honestly don't need a big hard drive. I've had this macbook for 3 years and I've only used 80GB of the allotted 250GB, and at least 40GB of that is just my music collection. I have been looking around and so far the only one that interests me at all is the HP g6, but I want some other options to at least gander at. Price isn't a huge issue. I'd like it under $1200 (not including warranty), but if I am really wowed, I'd go up. Thanks in advance for any advice you have. Happy

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Looking for a laptop for a writer...
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Looking for a laptop for a writer...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

CNET Forums