I have had my macbook for about... 3 years? Give or take. I loved it, but it is on its last legs. It overheats if I have two tabs open and at least three keys are broken. Good stuff. So I am looking for a new computer, but I'd rather not go with Apple again, if only because the network in my house complains whenever I try to transfer data between my apple and my fiance's computer (a Windows).
Here's what I need:
- a full size keyboard (the side keyboard with the number pad optional)
- a full size left shift key; non-negotiable
- trackpad... buttons... I don't know what you'd call them, but basically, I don't want to have to tap the trackpad to click
- good processor and RAM; I am usually running three or four programs at a time, and likely five or six windows in some of them (I am an editor and writer, so I am often looking at several drafts of a piece at a time)
- webcam and microphone; I use Skype frequently
- built-in wi-fi
- USB ports
Here's what I want, but aren't necessary:
- graphics card
- a screen under 17"
- long battery life while wi-fi is on
- a CD/DVD drive
- good sound; I love my music collection
- good video; I watch TV on my computer often, too
And of all the things, I honestly don't need a big hard drive. I've had this macbook for 3 years and I've only used 80GB of the allotted 250GB, and at least 40GB of that is just my music collection. I have been looking around and so far the only one that interests me at all is the HP g6, but I want some other options to at least gander at. Price isn't a huge issue. I'd like it under $1200 (not including warranty), but if I am really wowed, I'd go up. Thanks in advance for any advice you have.