Computer Help forum

General discussion

looking for a good java program

by roxxxy / February 8, 2006 11:34 AM PST

Hello, I hope someone might have some advice for me. I have always had trouble with the Sun Microsystems version of java. Quite a while ago, a friend emailed me a java program, I don't remember what it was, but it worked perfectly and I lost the program when I got a new computer.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Roxanne

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: looking for a good java program
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: looking for a good java program
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tell us what the java program did...
by Edward ODaniel / February 8, 2006 11:58 AM PST

and someone can possibly help you.

Was it a word processor or a spreadsheet or a game?

On the other hand if you mean the Java Virtual Machine that you install to handle java applications that would be something different.

Microsoft used to provide a Java VM but Sun and Microsoft had differences of opinion and Sun wouldn't license it to MS any more.

If you want Java installed you have to use what Sun offers.

Collapse -
just for running applets
by roxxxy / February 8, 2006 12:13 PM PST

but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Sun. I'm a relative dummy as far as these machines go, all I know is after I installed the one my friend sent me, I had no problem playing java games online, and I didn't have the "steaming cup of java" icon at the bottom of the screen, where it shows what programs are running.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

Collapse -
Maybe MSJava
by Bob__B / February 8, 2006 9:34 PM PST
Collapse -
Rox, Which Operating System??..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 9, 2006 1:59 AM PST

Windows 2000 uses a slightly different method for installing Microsoft's Virtual Machine java and as such, if you're already using SP4 it can be difficult to install/update the MS version if it's not already.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/820101/

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
operating system is
by roxxxy / February 9, 2006 10:51 AM PST

Windows XP
Media Center Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

HP Pavilion
AMD Athlon 64 Processor
3800+
2.39 GHz, 960 MB of RAM

According to system properties - just bought comp last week, after my old one finally croaked.

Thanks

Collapse -
Check To See If MS Java Is Already Installed..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 9, 2006 11:27 AM PST
In reply to: operating system is

I like Sun Java but if you're looking for something different, then the much older and less secure Microsoft Virtual Machine is certainly an option. To check to see if it was already installed on your computer, do this:

Click on Start-Run, type "cmd" (without the quotes), then click on OK. When the command window loads, type "jview", then press the "Enter" key..If Microsoft Java is installed, the version number will be displayed at the top of the window like this:

Microsoft Command Line Loader for Java Version 5.00.3810

The 3810 version is the most current but was released quite some time ago. It is not as secure as the more recent Sun versions.

If nothing is displayed after running the "jview" command, then you should be able to install it using the link provide above by Bob b.

By the way, there are a couple different versions of Sun's Java..Some work better on some machines than others. If you would like to try one of the other versions, please post the one that you have installed currently and maybe we can help you with a choice..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
ohhhh no what have i done????
by roxxxy / February 23, 2006 12:18 PM PST

I un-installed sun java and installed msjava. Things were going fine until i tred to use my bit torrent client (azureus) "no JVM could be found on your system" etc. So, I went to control panel to un-install msjava and put sun back on, but i couldnt find it in the list. I thought to myself, whatever, and tried to re-install sun, but now it won't install all the way.

I tried the Run-cmd-jview and got a command-line loader, which i have no idea what to do with.

I gotta learn to stop messing with settings I know nothing about!!!

Collapse -
Roxxx, Make Sure MS VM Is Enabled..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 25, 2006 6:50 AM PST

..like this: Open the Control Panel, double cick on the "Internet Options" icon, then click on the "Advanced" tab. Scroll down to the "Microsoft VM section and make sure the box is CHECKED next to "JIT Compiler for virtual machine is enabled".

Then again, it's very possible that Azureus requires a more current version of Java such as the one Sun provides..Try uninstalling all versions of Sun java from the Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs section before attempting to reinstall Sun again.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!