Computer Newbies forum

Question

Looking for a good gaming desktop, where do I begin?

I have had a laptop all through college and now I am looking to upgrade to a desktop, and with Battlefield 3 coming out I would like to get it for PC. However, I am fairly ignorant to what you really need in a computer for true gaming. I basically have no idea what I'm looking for. But I know that I want to be able to run Battlefield 3 on full, and then that will transfer to running other games full. Any suggestions on where to begin?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for a good gaming desktop, where do I begin?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for a good gaming desktop, where do I begin?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
What's your budget?

In reply to: Looking for a good gaming desktop, where do I begin?

This is the question that has to be answered first; from here, we can assist you with more pertinent specifics of the components.
Budget is foremost; as I've seen so-called gaming systems go from less than $600 to way over $10,000

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
bf 3

Since the exact system requirements for this game haven't been released yet I found some estimates for it:

Recommended
Hard Drive Space: 15 GB for disc version or 10 GB for digital version
Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU RAM: 4GB
Video Card: DirectX 11 Nvidia or AMD ATI card, GeForce GTX 460, Radeon Radeon HD 6850

So, you could try and make a computer with at least these specs.

Collapse -
Answer
Questions

1. Are you looking to build or buy?
At the low end, the best bang for the buck is to purchase. In the middle, building your own, if you don't count the cost of your labor (consider it a hobby) then building starts becoming the better option. You especially reap savings when later you can easily upgrade instead of buying a new PC. Store bought PCs often have limited upgrade options due to PSU, BIOS support, and other limitations.

If buy - do you have any preferred vendors or stores?
If build - any preferred manufacturers or other considerations?

2. What is your budget - as asked above?
3. Is gaming your highest performance use? Aside from normal internet and office functions, any others such as Photo editing? If so please list the software you use.
4. Since gaming depends heavily on the graphics card, and there are a plethora of options and considerations, you might also want to look at a website with information about upgrading your video card:

http://www.upgradevideocards.com/index.html

4. What is your planned monitor resolution - very important in sizing a video card? Note that you will see other factors to consider in the link above.

5. Any other particular requirements - such as size or particularly quiet for HTPC ops?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.