Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Looking for a good countdown timer

computer utility. Non-spyware, preferably a freebie. I'd like to be able to set 2 different timers at once, like overall 4 hours, but maybe have it beep every hour, too.

I've been browsing downloads, but you never know what you're getting nowadays, so I'm hoping someone here already knows of a good one. Happy

In the meantime, if you're a Weatherbug fan, but hate choosing an advertiser every other day, WeatherPulse has a good freebie, spyware-free.

TIA, I hope!
Cindi

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for a good countdown timer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for a good countdown timer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Cindy, I don't know of one,...

In reply to: Looking for a good countdown timer

...but I suspect that there might be one here.

Collapse -
Thanks, Paul.

In reply to: Cindy, I don't know of one,...

I might just make do with the kitchen timer off my fridge. Wink

Cindi

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Do you have trouble staying awake, or...? ;-)

Collapse -
LOL, no.

In reply to: (NT) Do you have trouble staying awake, or...? ;-)

Just got a new job doing Medical Transcription, and I need a reminder to get out of the computer chair and stretch every so often. Also will help me keep track of how much I'm working, and how much I'm futzing about. Happy

Cindi

Collapse -
Ahso! :)

In reply to: LOL, no.

"Futzing" -- a new word for me. I had to look it up with my DictionarySearch 1.5 Amazing how once in awhile, you see a word that pops up that's apparently in common use in one place or another but maybe not where I live.

Collapse -
Re: timer

You could always use the "at" command to run a batch file every hour or so that echoes something to the screen...

Collapse -
Nap and Coffee - v.2.0

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) P.S. I found this site from a link on Wayne Hardy's site

In reply to: Nap and Coffee - v.2.0

Collapse -
Thanks, Clay and Steven!

Although, Steven, that link doesn't tell a thing about the program or even what it does. I'm a little reluctant to download...is it something safe you've used, or no experience?

Cindi

Collapse -
I use it at the office whenever I feel I need a coffee break

In reply to: Thanks, Clay and Steven!

Most of my investigative work is done online these days. For the subject line I type in "Please wait while Windows performs routine maintenance tasks, and I set it for 15 minutes. It puts a countdown bar, with that message on the screen, making it appear as if the computer is running a maintenance task, when really it is just idly counting down 15 minutes. It makes it appear that I can't do any work on the computer for 15 minutes, since I must please wait, which gives me time for a coffee break (due to the danger of spills on valuable company equipment we are not allowed to have drinks at our desks.)

So it's basically a blind to fool the boss into letting me grab a coffee.

Indeed, the programs people will write.

Totally safe.

Unless your boss finds out what the program really does of course, but I'm certain she'll never visit the speakeasy, she doesn't have the charming personality that all of you have Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) LOL Okay, thanks!

In reply to: I use it at the office whenever I feel I need a coffee break

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.