Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Looking for a good camcorder for recording video games on...

by Mike_Nintendo / August 8, 2008 1:58 AM PDT

I'm looking for a good camcorder for video taping video games on a TV. I can't use a capture card because my Nintendo Wii console is in a seperate room from the computer (they r next door), so I ahve no choice but to tape the TV screen.

The first thing I used to record my video games with was my mom's Kodak Easyshare cx7430 <---(I think) 4.0 Mega-pixels. It was a digital camera meant for picture taking, but u can also tape videos on it. U could extend the time it could tape a video by inserting an SD card. But anyway, it is pretty old and beat up now, and I don't think it works anymore. So for my birthday, I asked for a Creative Labs Vado pocket camcorder. I wasn't satisfied with it after the first day cuz it had bad video quality, bad sound quality, and recorded my video game even worse than the old digital camera!

I have videos that were taped on these cameras. Here they r so u can see wat my problem is:

Creative Labs Vado pocket camcorder footage - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoNVdzJ7Xd0

Kodak easyshare cx7430 footage - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unpG8hzlKgc

Wow. An old, beat up digital camera not even meant for shooting video obviously kicks the Vado's butt. Wat a shame. As u can tell from comparing both videos, the Kodak one has very clear and great sound quality, and also rarely records scrolling TV bars, whereas the Vado pocket camcorder has atrocious sound quality; almost in-audible at that, and has a major black bar problem.

I know part of the cause is that my TV is not an LCD, plasma, or HD, but can anyone reccomend me the best kind of camcorder to fit my purposes of filming games off the TV, and real life footage as well. I need a camcorder that can do both of those things.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for a good camcorder for recording video games on...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for a good camcorder for recording video games on...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Oh, one more question
by Mike_Nintendo / August 9, 2008 6:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Not quite.

Oh ok, I get how everything works now.

One more question then hopefully we can end this: wat is the EXACT name of the double-ended cable that I need for the TV? I tried looking these things up but I don't seem to be getting anywhere. Is it a composite AV cable? Is it called a 6 sided AV cable? Wat??

Collapse -
Can I use this?
by Mike_Nintendo / August 9, 2008 6:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Not quite.
Collapse -
Exactly what you need.
by whizkid454 / August 9, 2008 12:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Can I use this?

You're set. Good luck with your project!

Collapse -
WOHOO!!
by Mike_Nintendo / August 9, 2008 12:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Exactly what you need.

YES! NO MORE CONFUSION AND LOOKING UP ON GOOGLE FOR THE WRONG PRODUCT AND...ok sorry lol.

And thx. I really, really, REALLY hope this works. I'ave always wanted this kind of quality ever since I started recording real life videos in like the summer of last year. No more pointing cameras at screens to get crooked views, scrolling bars, and no annoying background noises (I had a vacuum cleaner engine from my mom incorperated into one of my videos once, that like killed it lol)

I'll be ecstatic if this works. Thanks so mcuh Whizkid!! I never would have known how to do this (and probly would have gotten that camcorder and point it at the screen to get more dissapointment)!

U helped me so much! Thx! Cross ur fingers that this'll work =P.

Me and my mom r dishing out a lot of cash for these 3 things. I'm giving her $20 to pay for the Aiptek A-HD Hi-Def 1080p SD card/Hard Drive camcorder (it's like, $170 I think) and plus I gotta spend like $20 for the amp, and...$2 for the cable?? ROFL. So then I'm spending like, $42 for this project, along with my mom's cash. I really hope this pays off! I'll come back here and post some more if I run into problems, ok? But for now...ur free! lol.

Collapse -
File format?
by Mike_Nintendo / August 9, 2008 1:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Exactly what you need.

I'm just wondering, if I record with the amp, will the camcorder's file format change since it's taking data from the Wii internally? Or will it still remain as its .mp4/.mov? I don't thnik it would change, but for some reason I'm thinking so.

Also, do u think this recording method by hooking everything up to an amplifier will work?

Collapse -
It will work...
by whizkid454 / August 9, 2008 1:41 PM PDT
In reply to: File format?

And depending on the format of the camcorder, that's what it will turn out as.

Collapse -
Oh
by Mike_Nintendo / August 10, 2008 1:12 AM PDT
In reply to: It will work...

Oh so then it wont change from the mp4/mov ok thx

Collapse -
Some questions...
by Mike_Nintendo / August 12, 2008 8:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh

Hey, it's me again. The camcorder should be here by Friday, I already have the male-to-male AV cables that my mom picked up from Radio Shack today, and we don't know when the amplifier will get here.

But here's the question: When I'm recording with the amplifier, can noises enter the mic in the camcorder and interfere? And how does the camcorder record from the game without recording wat's in front of the lense? Or does the camcorder have to be shut off and ur just feeding it information while it's off, like when u download songs to an inactive MP3?

Collapse -
Depending on the camcorder...
by whizkid454 / August 12, 2008 8:31 AM PDT

Usually, once an external source such as the feed coming from the Wii, through the splitter, and to the camcorder's AV in port, the camcorder will not use its own lens or mic to capture video/audio. The directions should be clearly stated in the instruction manual of how to do this whole process. If not, check forums around the Web filled with people who have tried to do this same thing with that camcorder.

Collapse -
I understand
by Mike_Nintendo / August 12, 2008 9:49 AM PDT

I see. So since it doesn't use those things, can it be turned off completely while being fed thru the amp?

Collapse -
Uhh no.
by whizkid454 / August 12, 2008 10:16 AM PDT

The camera still needs to record the video. It must stay on. As I said, the directions will tell you everything, as well as your own experimenting once you get it.

Collapse -
Re: Uhh no.
by Mike_Nintendo / August 12, 2008 12:39 PM PDT

Ok.

Collapse -
New Firmware for Vado
by Akimo / August 15, 2008 2:19 AM PDT

I happen to have Vado and it is a great little recorder to shoot video at parties or when doing sports, cycling etc
but for capturing from TV you might need something that accepts audio line signal straight from TV! These small built-in mics are crappy - always. They record speech so that you can understand it, but that's about it.

There is one more thing I would strongly suggest doing about the Vado - upgrade the firmware. There is a new firmware that really improved video quality on my Vado. Can download here:
http://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?catID=833&CatName=Pocket+Video+Cams&subCatID=834&subCatName=Pocket%20Video%20Cams&prodID=17761&prodName=Vado
Once I put it on Vado the colors became more vivid and the volume seems to be higher. Check it out and tell how that worked for you.

Collapse -
Where in thsi thread is Vado mentioned?
by whizkid454 / August 15, 2008 2:39 AM PDT
In reply to: New Firmware for Vado

Seems like advertising to me.

Collapse -
it is not
by Akimo / August 22, 2008 1:11 AM PDT

I found this thread when searching google for the Vado. Did not find much here but bookmarked it anyway and once I came across the new firmware, which I put on the Vado, I thought you might be interested. So I came back and posted the link.

Btw. one could say this thread is Aiptek advertizing, too, who cares?

Collapse -
If the necessary information...
by whizkid454 / August 22, 2008 5:33 AM PDT
In reply to: it is not

requires giving out the brand and model number, I wouldn't call it advertising. Plus, most people on here who post the brand and model have problems with it. I don't believe the companies would call that the type of advertising they want.

Collapse -
Well...
by Mike_Nintendo / August 16, 2008 4:56 AM PDT
In reply to: New Firmware for Vado

I didn't like the Vado, it had horrible sound quality, but the video was ok, and it didn't have a lot of features, so I had my mom send it back, but it sucks compared to wat I have now, which is an Aiptek A-HD+ 1080p SD Card/Hard Drive camcorder. And yes, I can use it's AV cable and plug it into my TV outputs to record, so it's like I'm playing my video games on my TV and my camcorder's LCD at the same time.

And Whizkid, I got the amplifier yesterday, but sent it back right when it came in lol cuz I don't need it cuz I can just plug my camcorder into my TV's AV outputs and it sends the game to the LCD so it's like I'm playing it on my camcorder =)

Collapse -
Cable trouble
by Rhodes999 / August 27, 2008 12:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Well...

Ive been considering recording footage from my xbox360 to make montages etc. and found this thread very helpful, but i still have a problem i could use a hand with:

I have an old Cannon MV6i MC camcorder which has a yellow AV In/Out jack (although there is also a headphone symbol next to it) which im assuming can be used for this purpose. So what cable would i need to use my TV's Output slots to feed it into the camcorder?

TV Output (white/red/yellow?) to AV In/Out?

is there such a cable that does that does this, or is the yellow jack AV In/out not for this cause, or maybe i just need a newer camcorder?

All help appreciated.

Collapse -
U need an AV cable
by Mike_Nintendo / August 27, 2008 1:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Cable trouble

Well, my camcorder came with a red/yellow/white AV cable that I can plug the jacks into my TV's AV outputs, and into my camcorder, so watever is on the TV screen appears on the camcorder's LCD. That way I get a clear image since it's being fed through the TV to the camcorder directly. U'l need to get an AV cable that has the red/yellow/white jacks at one end, and a single jack to be plugged into the camcorder. U said u have that, so then all u gotta do is plug it into ur camcorder and into ur TV's AV outputs.

Collapse -
Great
by Rhodes999 / August 28, 2008 2:51 AM PDT
In reply to: U need an AV cable

Thanks, I havent got the box for the camcorder so ive ordered a new cable for it (cable was about $4 including shipping so not bad), but now i got to find the darn battery pack/power cable heh. Thanks for you help.

Collapse -
Yea
by Mike_Nintendo / August 28, 2008 4:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Great

Np

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!