Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Looking for a good camcorder for recording video games on...

by Mike_Nintendo / August 8, 2008 1:58 AM PDT

I'm looking for a good camcorder for video taping video games on a TV. I can't use a capture card because my Nintendo Wii console is in a seperate room from the computer (they r next door), so I ahve no choice but to tape the TV screen.

The first thing I used to record my video games with was my mom's Kodak Easyshare cx7430 <---(I think) 4.0 Mega-pixels. It was a digital camera meant for picture taking, but u can also tape videos on it. U could extend the time it could tape a video by inserting an SD card. But anyway, it is pretty old and beat up now, and I don't think it works anymore. So for my birthday, I asked for a Creative Labs Vado pocket camcorder. I wasn't satisfied with it after the first day cuz it had bad video quality, bad sound quality, and recorded my video game even worse than the old digital camera!

I have videos that were taped on these cameras. Here they r so u can see wat my problem is:

Creative Labs Vado pocket camcorder footage - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoNVdzJ7Xd0

Kodak easyshare cx7430 footage - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unpG8hzlKgc

Wow. An old, beat up digital camera not even meant for shooting video obviously kicks the Vado's butt. Wat a shame. As u can tell from comparing both videos, the Kodak one has very clear and great sound quality, and also rarely records scrolling TV bars, whereas the Vado pocket camcorder has atrocious sound quality; almost in-audible at that, and has a major black bar problem.

I know part of the cause is that my TV is not an LCD, plasma, or HD, but can anyone reccomend me the best kind of camcorder to fit my purposes of filming games off the TV, and real life footage as well. I need a camcorder that can do both of those things.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for a good camcorder for recording video games on...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for a good camcorder for recording video games on...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: The above post

Creative Labs Vado pocket camcorder footage - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoNVdzJ7Xd0

Kodak easyshare cx7430 footage - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unpG8hzlKgc

Wow. An old, beat up digital camera not even meant for shooting video obviously kicks the Vado's butt. Wat a shame. As u can tell from comparing both videos, the Kodak one has very clear and great sound quality, and also rarely records scrolling TV bars, whereas the Vado pocket camcorder has atrocious sound quality; almost in-audible at that, and has a major black bar problem.

I know part of the cause is that my TV is not an LCD, plasma, or HD, but can anyone reccomend me the best kind of camcorder to fit my purposes of filming games off the TV, and real life footage as well. I need a camcorder that can do both of those things.

Collapse -
I think a better way...
by whizkid454 / August 8, 2008 2:12 AM PDT

Would be to find a camcorder with AV inputs. It eliminates the TV picture problem usually found recording screens such as this.

Collapse -
Re: I think a better way
by Mike_Nintendo / August 8, 2008 2:21 AM PDT

Hmm yea, I can see how that could act like a capture card sorta...but then wouldn't u need to plug a USB port into the computer and the Wii? Cuz remember, I can't do that >.<

Collapse -
The process..
by whizkid454 / August 8, 2008 2:44 AM PDT

You might need a splitter if you want the video to be both captured to the camcorder and viewed on the TV at the same time. From the Wii, connect the AV cable (not USB) to the splitter. From the splitter, plug one into the camcorder for recording and the other into the TV for viewing. Once recording is finished, connect the camcorder as usual to the computer and transfer the video.

Collapse -
Re: Above message
by Mike_Nintendo / August 8, 2008 3:12 AM PDT
In reply to: The process..

Hmm, that makes sense. They're called RCA splitters aren't they? Can I ask u something? My Vado pocket camcorder has a hole in it that says "AV out". Could I video capture with that? So it would go like this:

I would plug the Wii's white and yellow AV jack things (the things u plug them into the TV for sound and picture) into the two splitter jacks, and then the other end of the splitter would go into the AV out of the Vado pocket camcorder??

Omg if that's true then that's just awesome and I might not have to send it back! Plz hurry and tell me cuz today is the day I have to send it back so my mom can get refunded!

Collapse -
Re: Above post
by Mike_Nintendo / August 8, 2008 3:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Above message

Oh but wait...how would I see wat I'm doing on the TV if the camera is using the AV jacks? Would the TV be black and I'd have to play the game on my camcorder?? Or would it be on the TV and the camcorder?? I'm confused..

Collapse -
This is how it would work...
by whizkid454 / August 8, 2008 5:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Above post

First of all, the AV out port is an output. Anything you plug into that port will flow away from it. It will not capture video since it is not an AV in port (incoming data).
The splitter allows the one video feed from the Wii to go two places: the camcorder's AV in port (how you record the games) and the TV's AV in port (how you watch the games on TV). Once you press record on the camcorder, anything you see on the TV screen is what ends up on the camcorder.

Example of a splitter: http://www.a1components.com/itemdisplayn.aspx?item=10456 (this one allows up to four outputs)

Collapse -
by Mike_Nintendo / August 8, 2008 6:29 AM PDT

Oh. Ok, I c wat u mean about the output.

So with that box thing, how do I set it up to record wat's on the TV? Like can u tell me wat plugs into wat? I have no clue how I would work this thing or wat the hell S-cable female means or w/e it's called (I don't know a lot about electronics =\).

Do I plug the Wii's A/V jacks into the TV or the box? And if it's for the box, does the box have A/V out jacks for the TV? And I see there's a 5th spot on the box. Is that were I plug the camcorder into? Does a camcorder come with watever u need to plug into that spot?

U know wat, can u just make a guide or something? Lol.

Collapse -
This thread is already a guide....
by whizkid454 / August 8, 2008 7:26 AM PDT

Maybe this will help with the box (or whatever device you use):

Wii connects to the box through a standard composite cable (Yellow, Red, White). These plug into the box in the INPUT ports. The TV and camcorder plug into the OUTPUT ports. The game will show up on the TV and the camcorder. Press record on the camcorder and what is on the TV is recorded to the media.

It is pretty straightforward once you read the directions provided with the splitter.

Collapse -
by Mike_Nintendo / August 8, 2008 7:45 AM PDT

Aha! I completely understand now. Thx!

So, technically, u plug the Wii's A/V jacks into the lone input box, and it goes into the box, makes it make a U-turn and enter the output parts and flow to the TV and camcorder, right? But where do I plug the standard A/V cable? The back of the TV? And do all camcorders come with an A/V in port?

Where can I get a standard A/V output jack or watever for both the TV and camcorder? Can us end me a link?

Also, can u reccomend a good, affordable camcorder?

Collapse -
Not all camcorders have an AV in port...
by whizkid454 / August 8, 2008 7:49 AM PDT

Which is where your job comes in! Happy Do some research around the Web (example: CNET or www.camcorderinfo.com) and come up with some that you're interested in. They will mention if it has AV in ports or not.

Collapse -
by Mike_Nintendo / August 8, 2008 8:22 AM PDT

Yea, ok I will.

Where do I plug the standard A/V cable for the TV? In the back of it? Wat is the S-video thing for? Do I need that? And does the box run off batteries or something? Wat is it powered by?

Collapse -
by Mike_Nintendo / August 8, 2008 8:46 AM PDT
Collapse -
I recorded some videos, watch them
by Mike_Nintendo / August 17, 2008 4:14 AM PDT
Collapse -
Very nice...
by whizkid454 / August 17, 2008 5:10 AM PDT

Glad it worked out for you.

Collapse -
Of course it stops working -_-
by Mike_Nintendo / August 17, 2008 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Very nice...

Check my newest topic. When I record that way, it now stops recording always at 46 seconds and says "File Failed" in a red bar.......but it doesn't do that to regular recording...I never had this problem before...well I did once, but it worked again after it. Now it wont work no matter how many times I try it.

Collapse -
It only does this to my N64...
by Mike_Nintendo / August 17, 2008 7:37 AM PDT
Collapse -
Question overload!!
by whizkid454 / August 8, 2008 12:59 PM PDT

Either composite or S-Video cables are fine for the job. Remember, S-Video is visual only which is why you still need the audio cables (red and white) to get the full thing.

Splitters could use either battery or AC power. Search around for those answers.

Just for your info, you'll need three cables: 1 composite cable to connect Wii to splitter and 2 cables to connect the splitter to the TV and camcorder.

And by the way, Happy Olympics! Happy

Collapse -
Re: The splitters i'll need
by Mike_Nintendo / August 9, 2008 1:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Question overload!!

But if I get a composite AV cable for my Wii and plug it into the box...then wat goes into the TV if the box has all of the AV cables already? Cuz the Wii's AV cable needs to plug into the TV, so then if it has to go there, how do I make it plug into both? There is only one USB port for one AV, which is for the TV. And wat is a composite cable? Is it wat the Wii's is?

Or do I plug the Wii's into the box, then get another composite, and plug it into the back of the TV, and into the box? Will I still see wat's on the TV even tho everythign is flowing into the box and out to the camcorder?

Collapse -
by whizkid454 / August 9, 2008 1:46 AM PDT

"Or do I plug the Wii's into the box, then get another composite, and plug it into the back of the TV, and into the box?"

Bingo. Plus one more composite cable to connect the camcorder to the box.

Collapse -
Re: ...
by Mike_Nintendo / August 9, 2008 2:40 AM PDT
In reply to: ...

So then...it does plug into the back of the TV? I thought u would need a double-sided AV cable so it could plug into the front of the TV and box? Or does it have to go to the back of the TV and box? Or can it be both?

Collapse -
Some other reading that may help you...
by whizkid454 / August 9, 2008 1:55 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Mike_Nintendo / August 9, 2008 12:28 AM PDT

I see. So I need 3 composite cables? And I found out that the camcorder i'm getting comes with an AV cable, which is great so now that's one less thing to get.

My mom is gonna send the Vado pocket camcorder bakc on Monday, and once she knows she's getting a refund, she'll get me an Aiptek A-HD which looks like a very good camcorder.

Collapse -
Looks like it will serve you well...
by whizkid454 / August 9, 2008 12:38 AM PDT

Have fun!

Collapse -
Does the cable need to be double ended?

So far, I know that I need a camcorder, the splitter/amplifier, and one AV cable for the TV. Now, does the one for the TV need to be double ended so it can be plugged into the front TV jacks AND the box? And wat is the exact kind I need? I've been seeing tons of this "Female, male, RCA" crap, and I'm confused. I don't even know wat male or female AV cables r. So does it need to be double ended? And wat is a composite or standard cable anyways?

Collapse -
Male vs. female...
by whizkid454 / August 9, 2008 2:03 AM PDT

It's pretty self-explanatory. Keeping this PG, male plugs have the point while female plugs have the opening. No need to over-analyze that. Wink

To clarify, one composite cable includes three ends: yellow (for video) and red/white (for audio). You'll need three composite cables. To further clarify, one composite cable will have 6 ends: 3 on one end to connect a device and the other side of three ends connects to the other device.

Collapse -
Oh!
by Mike_Nintendo / August 9, 2008 2:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Male vs. female...

So a composite IS double sided? That is wat I need for the TV then? It plugs into the TV and the box? And I don't need 3 of them cuz I just plug my Wii's standard red/yellow/white AV cable into the box instead of the TV jacks (can't I?), the camcorder comes with its own standard AV cable, so that's 2. I just need the right one for the TV.

Collapse -
Exactly.
by whizkid454 / August 9, 2008 3:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh!

What you said is right. And to your post above, it doesn't matter if you plug the cables in the front or back of the TV as long as they go into composite INPUT ports.

Collapse -
I'm still confused...
by Mike_Nintendo / August 9, 2008 3:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Exactly.

Ok, so about that amplifier, the Wii and TV's standard AV cables both go in the OUTPUT ports of the box, and the camcorder goes in the lone INPUT port, right (it has to, cuz u can't put the TV and Wii into the INPUT port if it only has room for one device)?

I can't find the right kind of cable for the TV can u send me a link to the right one? I spent too much of my time trying to find the right cable, and all it got me was nowhere and confusion.

Collapse -
Not quite.
by whizkid454 / August 9, 2008 5:44 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm still confused...

As stated before, OUTPUT from box is TV and camcorder. INPUT is from Wii.

Composite cable

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?