PC Hardware forum

General discussion

looking for a good 22" or 24" gaming monitor

by scifiiman / July 27, 2007 7:55 AM PDT

Im just looking for opinions on a good 22" or 24" LCD widescreen monitor for under $600 for my PC. Ive seen some good samsungs and dell but still not sure which one, im going by some stores to take a look also but just wanted to get some feedback.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: looking for a good 22" or 24" gaming monitor
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: looking for a good 22" or 24" gaming monitor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Acer AL2216W...
by mep916 / August 8, 2007 4:12 AM PDT

...I just received this monitor this week. It's a 22" widescreen. Only $219 at buy.com (free shipping). It's a good budget monitor. On the high end, definitely get the Dell 2407WFP. Every magazine and reviewer has given this monitor higher marks than the Samsung.

Collapse -
Best Buy...
by ozos / August 8, 2007 11:42 PM PDT

has, or at least was having, a sale on a Westinghouse widescreen, which was of exceptional quality, and only around $180 in-store, not sure if the sale has ended

Other good options are always Apple Cinema HD (you pay more, but its guranteed to be a good display), Dell produces a sound monitor, Samsung's are always decent to stellar depending on which one you're buying, LG produces decent monitors, and Acer has produced a decent line of affordable monitors.

24" probably isn't possible for under $600, at least not without sales, and if it is, its probably not a panel you'd want to own.

For a 24", you want 1920x1200 as the native resolution, don't settle for anything else, for 22", ideally you want 1680x1050 or 1920x1200, for 19", 1440x900 or 1680x1050, and I wouldn't entirely write off 19" widescreens.

Also, ensure your computer can support the resolution of the monitor you intend to buy, and by support, I mean not only drive in a 2D display, but handle it in 3D games.

Collapse -
video
by scifiiman / August 9, 2007 7:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Best Buy...

I have a geforce 8800 GTS 320 factory Overclocked, so i have enough video power to run any monitor. Thanks for the info. I'll check and see if any sales are going on still.

Collapse -
Well
by kpo6969 / August 9, 2007 9:07 AM PDT
In reply to: video

You should of gotten the 640 for anything over 22"

Collapse -
by scifiiman / August 9, 2007 9:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Well

my plan is to later get a 2nd 320, which will have the same ram as a 640 but be much faster. i didnt want to spend all that mony at once. my mobo will suport SLI running at full speed 16x PCIE.

Collapse -
Its far from
by ozos / August 9, 2007 7:19 PM PDT
In reply to: video

being able to run "any monitor"

Also, the 640MB IS wasteful, I agree with the SLI option

Look at this to get more of a perspective on what you can do with your card:
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:System_Requirements#Requirements_To_Run_Oblivion_on_Absolute_Max_settings

Oblivion is surprisingly simmilar to a number of other current top level DX9c games, while the 8800 is fast, it is by no means capable of doing everything on the market at maxed settings on a 1920x1200 or 2560x1600 monitor (playable that is), something to keep in mind.

Collapse -
true
by scifiiman / August 10, 2007 4:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Its far from

i just mean that i could run any of the 22 or 24 inch monitors ive been looking at, im not planning on going any larger. I know that a lot of the high end games still have a hard time if i try and run it at a max res of 1600x? or higher. What I'll probably do is compare the frames per second with the game video settings and get something that works once i get the monitor.

Collapse -
22" will be cheaper and easier to handle graphically
by ramarc / August 10, 2007 4:51 AM PDT
In reply to: true

24" monitors run at 1920x1200 vs 1680x1050 for 22"ers, or 30% more pixels. your games will be able to run faster with more eye candy on the 22" and there's not that much of a difference in size.

samsungs are typically considered the best LCDs for gamers. acers are good and i'm perfectly happy with my westinghouse. be sure to demo the monitor in person if possible and check the viewing angles and ghosting for yourself.

Collapse -
hmm
by scifiiman / August 10, 2007 6:05 AM PDT

Unless anyone else has a suggestion im leaning more towards the Samsung SyncMaster 226BW Black 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor right now. Bestbuy has it for $320, the only bad thing is it doesnt have the ability to adjust up and down but its not a huge deal. Ill take a look at the acers and westinghouse while im there also.

Collapse -
westinghouse
by ozos / August 10, 2007 7:46 AM PDT
In reply to: hmm

should be about half that price, so keep that in mind, it might be a better deal

the reason I added the bit about the video card, if your card can't run the games you have in mind at the monitor's native resolution, it'll look awful (especially on a widescreen) because its an LCD

so if the card can't handle 1680x1050, or 1920x1200, its more or less not worth having the pixels, yes, you can run lower resolutions, but it looks a lot worse (you loose a lot of clarity due to how LCDs are designed and how they operate)

a 22" is probably a safer choice, as 1680x1050 is a friendlier resolution than 1920x1200 (and if you have to scale 1440x900 to it, it won't look as pixelated as it would if scaled on a 1920x1200 panel)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?