Cameras forum

General discussion

Looking for a "fast" camera that minimizes blur

by docdrew / December 14, 2004 12:54 PM PST

I currently own an Olympus 2.1 MP camera that seems to have a long lag time between pressing the exposure button and the actual exposure. When I take photos of my daughter (7 yo) they are frequently blurry because she doesn't like to hold still. I'm thinking of getting a new 4 or 5 MP camera. Are there any cameras that are especially good at taking fast exposures and minimizing blur due to subject motion? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for a "fast" camera that minimizes blur
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for a "fast" camera that minimizes blur
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
IS camera and higher shutter speed will help.
by jump1127 / December 14, 2004 2:14 PM PST

Well , you probalby need a camera with IS ( image stabilizer ) Minolta and Canon seem to produce that . For example, Diamage 3 and Canon IS powershot. If possible, switch your camera to manual mode and adjust the camera to higher shutter speed. But, keep in mind that you 'll need enough light. Good luck.

Collapse -
Fast Camera
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 15, 2004 12:27 AM PST
Collapse -
Are cameras rated for shutter lag?
by docdrew / December 15, 2004 1:08 PM PST
In reply to: Fast Camera

Now that I know that shutter lag is the problem how can I choose a camera with minimum lag? When looking at the specs is there a term or rating/value that I should be looking for? Thanks.

Collapse -
Shutter Lag
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 16, 2004 1:35 AM PST

Shutter Lag information is not available in one convienient place, that I know of.

You have to go to the manufacturers site and dig through specifications. And you may not find it at all, for some cameras.

Often you can find that information on Steve-Digicams reviews. He usually puts it on the "Conclusion" page.

Here is a link to an index of the digital cameras he has reviewed:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

Shutter lag is defined in two ways:
pre-focus and just press the button down.

Pre-focus is when you press the shutter button half way down and wait for the action to occur, then press the button the remaining way down. This is the fastest and usually is around 0.1 or 0.2 second.

If you just press the shutter button all the way down, the camera has to focus before it takes the picture. This takes the most time and will run from one second to 0.2 second. Most newer cameras are about 0.5 to 0.6 second.

Another good feature for action shots is "burst mode".
Each camera maker seems to have a special name for it.
You set an option on the menu and then when you hold the shutter button down the camera will take a series of shots as fast as it can, and will save a predetermined number of them.

Collapse -
Is this a low light situation? If it is, there is a
by Kiddpeat / December 15, 2004 2:34 AM PST

different answer. Otherwise;

The cameras I've seen allow you to depress the shutter release button about half way so that the camera can focus itself. The button is then held down until the right moment for the shot. If there is good light, the photo will be captured very quickly with little or no blur. An exception may occur is you are saving a high resolution version of the image such as Tif or Raw. In these cases, the transfer to memory takes much longer, and the camera may take longer to finalize the shot. In my experience, a jpeg image is MUCH faster.

Collapse -
The answer is SLR!
by docdrew / December 17, 2004 12:44 PM PST

Thanks for the responses but after doing some research it seems that a SLR camera is what I've been looking for. These have many features of "point and shoot" cameras but also function like film cameras with virtually no lag. They are much better at capturing moving subjects. I'm currently checking out the Nikon D70. Yes, they are pricier but it may be worth it to banish the lag!

Collapse -
SLR
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 18, 2004 12:40 AM PST
In reply to: The answer is SLR!

That is indeed the best solution.
You will find that the picture quality and detail will be better too.
Let us know what you buy.

Collapse -
Re: Looking for a "fast" camera that minimizes blur
by gerrybo 653 / December 18, 2004 12:58 PM PST

My guess is that the blur is not caused by shutter lag time--your shutter speed is too low. Use a faster shutter speed.

Collapse -
Looking for a "fast" camera that minimizes blur
by gerrybo 653 / December 26, 2004 11:30 AM PST

It seems to me that the photos of your daughter are blurry because too low of a shutter speed is being used. I seriously doubt that it is caused from shutter lag. Use at least a 125/th of a second SS, and SQUEEZE the shutter button gently, rather than mashing down on it. This takes a bit of practice..

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?