Cameras forum

General discussion

Looking for a Digital camera that can shoot action sports shots indoors & out.

Have an olympus 550. Shot pics of Daughters playing college and middle school basketball indoors but images were blurred and not enough light.
Thanks
Timamu

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for a Digital camera that can shoot action sports shots indoors & out.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for a Digital camera that can shoot action sports shots indoors & out.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Looking for a Digital camera that can shoot action sports shots indoors & out.

There are a limited number of cameras that would be good choices for indoor basketball photos.

The best choices are in the $1,000 and up category.

Some of the new cameras are showing up with much improved shutter delays. This would be helpful for any action photos.

For the Point-and-shoot category take a look at the new Sony P100. Five megapixels, 3x Zoom. Very short shutter delay. Street price about $400.

You can see a review here:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/p100.html

For the more advanced camera take a look at the new Konica/Minolta Z2. Four magapixels, 10x zoom. Short shutter delay. Better than average flash distance coverage (20 feet). Street price about $450.

You can see a review here:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/z2.html

Some tips for shooting under such low light conditions:

..Get closer to the action and use flash.
..If you are greater than 25 feet from the action, set the camera to not use the flash at all (the camera can better adjust to the available lighting conditions).
..Use a tripod.
..If subjects are running, pan the camera with the running subjects (the background will be blurred but the subjects should be sharp).

Collapse -
Re:Re:Looking for a Digital camera that can shoot action sports shots indoors & out.

Thanks for the info. I'll check them out.

Collapse -
Re:Looking for a Digital camera that can shoot action sports shots indoors & out.

I've been using a Nikon D100 very successfully (for what I want) without flash. Outdoors I use a 28-135 Sigma lens. Indoors a Nikon f=50mm f/1.8 lens. There is, simply, no shutter lag.

The ongoing problem with non-SLR cameras apart from slower operation (though this is improving) is the significant increase in noise about 200 ISO. I find the D100 is very low on noise up to 800 ISO and still usable beyond. The D70 is probably even better than the D100 - and cheaper. The Fuji S2 (due to be replaced by the S3) is also an excellent performer.

The Canon Rebel digital has a slight delay, though my daughter has learnt to allow for it. It too, is very versatile.

Howard

Collapse -
Re:Re:Looking for a Digital camera that can shoot action sports shots indoors & out.

Thanks Howard, will do some research on your suggestions.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Looking for a Digital camera that can shoot action sports shots indoors & out.

its not the camera its the photographer. up your iso, or get a big flash, or a fast lens

Collapse -

I just recently purchased a Kyocera/Contax SL300RT, 300MP. Cnet said it sets a new standard for digital camera speed.
I took some shots while subject was shooting baskets outdoors in sunlight. The pics look great and subject was in focus but the ball was a little fuzzy. Have not tried indoor action shots yet.
I paid $385 plus an SD card. There is also the SL300R available for about $100 less. The reason I opted for the RT is I have the same Carl Zeiss lens on a Sony and have been very pleased with the quality of prints taken with it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!