Cameras forum

General discussion

Looking for a camera...

by bulldoggrl / November 3, 2003 2:56 PM PST

I'm an amateur photographer, and I'm trying to replace my digital camera. I take tons of photos at hockey games and other sporting events, so I need something that can withstand 200+ photos a night. I'm looking for something that has 8x or more zoom. The camera I'm contemplating right now is the FujiFilm - FinePix S-5000 Digital Camera. The zoom and speed looks good, but I read a review here that the photo quality is poor. If anyone has some suggestions, I'm more than willing to hear them!! Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for a camera...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for a camera...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Looking for a camera...
by David Chan / November 3, 2003 8:14 PM PST

The picture quality is subjective as you may find it OK whilst someone else not.

In any case Digital Images can be manipulated post exposure with a photo imaging s/w like Photoshop.

See this detail review and the sample images taken by the Fuji FinePix 5000S:
http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/fujis5000_samples/
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms5000/

Check out the comparison with the upper model 7000S, it has a superior lens with the legendary Super-EDC multi-coating for the lens which the 5000S doesn't have. If you are concern with the image quality this multi-coating would produce a better color rendition.

Also look at the new Minolta DiMAGE A-1 5 megapixel camera. It has an image stabilization feature which will come in handy for low light shooting in a Hockey arena. This will help you produce sharper images handheld which is important in a fast action sport like Hockey.

The DiMAGE lens is also an APO-lens for sharper images but it's zoom range is 7X and equivalent to 28~200mm.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/minoltadimagea1/

Collapse -
Re:Looking for a camera...
by twlyle / November 3, 2003 9:54 PM PST

I have recently gotten an Olympus C750UZ and I am well pleased with it. It has 4mega pixels with a 10x optical zoom and will hold a 512 meg xD memory card. Camera cost is around $500. I got mine off Ebay (new), after reading alot of favorable reviews from owners and then deciding. One, that I remember reading somewhere, was from someone who was taking action shots at football games from the stands and he was very satisfied. The nagatives that I've read are that xD memory is expensive and that it doesn't focus well in low light. The focus thing shouldn't be a problem for hockey and the price of memory cards isn't that bad.
check it out http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Olympus/

Collapse -
Looking For A Digitital Camera
by asylump1 / October 24, 2008 2:34 PM PDT

I am useing th Olympus E-510, and it will take as many pictures as you need in a night, and you won't need to charge the battery, either. If you get a chance take a look at one and read up on it. I got mine at Broadway Photo. They were the cheapest anywhere, on any camera, w/ very good srvice. They recommended things for me to buy extra, and they didn't pressure me, but what they said made since to me. You'll enjoy the setup they use. I have an 8gig flash drive and a 2gig xd memory card in mine so that I can take pics back to back w/ no hesitation at all. This camera is made for sporting events. Check it out. Gl

Collapse -
One more thing
by asylump1 / October 24, 2008 2:36 PM PDT

Make sure the get the package deal w/ 2 lenses, it's way cheaper in the long run. Again, gl.

Collapse -
A Caution from the Moderator
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / October 25, 2008 1:48 AM PDT

asylump1 mentioned that he bought his E-510 at Broadway Photo.

Be advised ..... Broadway Photo has a bad reputation.
It is noted as being a "bait and switch" merchant.

Resellerratings.com rates on-line businesses from one to ten.
(ten being the best).
They rate Broadway Photo as just over one. (1.18)
That is a very bad rating.

Here is a link to the rating:
Read what customers had to say about Broadway Photo:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Broadway_Photo

Collapse -
Warning-Broadway Photo
by asylump1 / October 25, 2008 5:59 AM PDT

Thx for the warning. I won't order from them again. I must have been lucky. I'm satisfied w/ mine, however they did sell me extra stuff. Thx for the info.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.