TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Looking for a cable, but missing key terms

by ikjadoon / January 21, 2006 6:59 AM PST

Hi! I own a Pro Brand Digital Stream HDTV 3150 Plus Reciever. It has a digital coaxial output and a digital optical output for sound. Now my TV has a regular head phone jack. What is the proper name for the headphone jack so that I can look for a adapter? Or better yet does anyone know where I could find one? I searched Newegg and TigerDirect, but I may be looking for the wrong things. Thanks!


Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for a cable, but missing key terms
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for a cable, but missing key terms
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Also: Which is better: Coaxial or Optical?
by ikjadoon / January 21, 2006 7:37 AM PST
Collapse -
No difference ...
by TiVolution / January 30, 2006 11:30 PM PST

Aside from the cost of the cables there is no difference in optical vs. coax. They carry the same signal.

Optical cables tend to cost more and you can actually use a "standard" RCA cable for a coax connection. (Offical coax cables are manufactured to a a tighter tolerance than a standard RCA cable, but a standard RCA cable will work and is easy to experiment with before you go out a drop $25 on a "real" coax connection.)

Collapse -
Not sure what you hope to do...
by sirroundsound / January 21, 2006 12:46 PM PST

THe receiver is looking for a place to plug "IN" either of those digital audio cables, such as a surround receiver or a TV with digital inputs. A headphone "output" will not help you.


Collapse -
It is a
by HTHMAN / January 31, 2006 4:15 AM PST

It is called a phono jack, but you would only use it for earphones. Use the digital coax or optical depending on what your other equipment dictates. I am sure those jacks you are referring to are INPUTS, not outputs anyhow. You would hook your DVD player or cable/satellite box to these.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions


Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?