TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Looking at Sony KDF60XBR950 or XS line and have a question.

I was blown away when viewing the Sony KDF-70XBR950, and the 60 looked even better because the screen size was a little smaller. BUT, for some reason, Circuit City doesn't sell, stock, or order the XBR 60''. What the hell? Well, after much deliberation and chin scratching, I was about to settle with the 60'' XS. The only thing I'm still unsure of is the damn black levels on these TV's. I have a Sony XBR 40'' Tube (yes, it's a tube and it weighs about 320lbs, lol). But guess what? It does 100% black/white levels. Perhaps the geometry isn't as nice as Sony's new LCD models, but black levels are extremely important to me. How can ANYONE watching a movie in a correctly lit enviornment stand to see a blue-grey color where black should be? IE:, Credits, Movie Opening, Night-Scenes, not to mention movies like Star Wars where most of the film is shot in space?! So my question to anyone who can answer it is, what should I do? Is there any 60''+ tv that's on par with the Sony line that can accuratly do black levels? I was told by the Circuit City rep that plasma tv's can do black levels a little better, but I wasn't impressed with the selection of tv's they had that were supposivly better.

Thank you for reading!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking at Sony KDF60XBR950 or XS line and have a question.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking at Sony KDF60XBR950 or XS line and have a question.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
there's more to tv than circuit city

In reply to: Looking at Sony KDF60XBR950 or XS line and have a question.

Ok. I've seen the sony's you're talking about. They are indeed amazing, and the 60 inch would be the best bet, but if circuit city doesn't have it you should look elsewhere. Check online. CC doesn't come anywhere near the best price you can find. As far as comparability, I know that Samsung, Hitachi and Mitsubishi will have models that will satisfy you. There's too much to say about them, but they offer excellent pictures. And if you like Sony's black levels, (LCD) then most DLPs should also give you what you're looking for.

Collapse -
your right circut city sucks

In reply to: there's more to tv than circuit city

circut city frys etc. now nothing about hi-def I went to a High end retailer that sold mostly Sony products and my Sony kp-65wv600 was almost $500.00 cheaper than those dumps also the salsman at San Jose Sony spent over an hour to explain everything about hi-def With the honist advice I bought the dish 811 sat system, Denon 2910 d.v.d. player with d.v.i. output and a Givvin d.v.i. switcher now Iam in hi-def heaven and I saved a bundle your rite on hi-def is never going to take off until salepeople are trained about hi-def Its like here is the t.v. you go figure it out

Collapse -
sugest buying the SONY kp-65wv600

First forget circut ciy I bought my rear projrction 3 tube Sony Dirt cheap $2500 at a High end retailer San Jose Sony The price was cheaper than the mass marked retailers and they spent the time to explain the other hi-def equipment I would need to make this set sparkle I find that this set even thou it weighs a ton has a picture as good as the plasma, l.c.d and d.l.p set and also has excelent black levels, what you must do is after about 3 months have sony come out under warenty and calibrate the set, in closing converenge must be made once and awhile but that can be done easily with the remote control good luck please respond

Collapse -
problem solved

I have had my Sony KP-65wv600 for about a year and I only paid $2500 for it thats half the price as the l.c.d and d.l.p. sets the picture is awsome, and the black level is what you will have If you shop for this set you may not find one but Sony does still sells a smaller 57" set Also I may sugest getting the Dish network 811 Hi-Def satallite system I love it I pay $39.00 for bascic and the hi-def package and I just added voom for $5.00 a month more in closing make sure you hook the system up with a d.v.i. interface cable dush only sublies componit vidio cables and if you dont use a d.v.i. cable the picture will look nasty please reply I just joined this chat group and would loke to hear from you respond to stewart norrie good luck

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.