HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

Looking at a few laptop choices...wanting some opinions

by tggroo7 / November 28, 2009 2:33 AM PST

So I have these laptops I have kinda narrowed it down to:

HP G60-440us Notebook PC - Intel Pentium Dual-Core T4300 2.1GHz, 3GB DDR2, 320GB HDD, DVDRW, 16"
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4824087&CatId=4942

SONY VAIO NW Series VGN-NW228F/B NoteBook Intel Pentium dual-core T4300(2.10GHz) 15.5" 4GB Memory DDR2 800 250GB HDD 5400rpm
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834117950

Gateway MC7833u NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T6400(2.00GHz) 16" XGA 4GB Memory DDR2 667 500GB HDD 5400rpm.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834101198R

I'm looking for some help in finding/explaining the main differences. The Gateway has the better processor, right? Or are they pretty similar? I'm not very experienced with laptops so I would like some information or opinions on the differences among the brands, like I've always thought of Sony as a little above the rest as far as a reliable, quality brand for a laptop. I don't know much about Gateway laptops.

The laptop will not need a lot of space as there won't be much media or programs on it. It is mostly going to be a basic use computer, but it should be decently fast.

And yes, I just noticed that two of these laptops aren't even available considering it is the day after black Friday, but I still would like to see some responses to educate myself a little more.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking at a few laptop choices...wanting some opinions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking at a few laptop choices...wanting some opinions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Found a good-looking Toshiba as well...
by tggroo7 / November 28, 2009 2:49 AM PST
Collapse -
good deal, but..
by d_adams / November 28, 2009 10:19 AM PST

it looks like they've already sold them all. That's the best looking laptop you listed.

Collapse -
by d_adams / November 28, 2009 10:38 AM PST

It looks like the HP and Sony are just about the same. The Gateway does have a better CPU and a bigger hard drive. For general use, all of these are going to seem about equally fast. You could maybe go to the store and see if they had similar models to try out to see which are best.
As for the brands themselves, well I am not a huge fan of HP (seems like their laptops are kind of cheaply made), but they aren't any worse than any other lower end laptop maker. That Gateway looks like (though I could be completely wrong) it's kind of an older higher end model (I notice newegg has deactivated it). I don't know much about gateway. I've owned several of their old desktops (from the 90s) and they were good machines back then. No idea what their like today. Sony has a good reputation these days with their high end Vaio laptops, but I do not know much about this particular model. It looks about the same as the HP; thick, heavy plastic case, same CPU, same LCD, similar ports, etc.

If I were forced to make a choice between them, I'd pick the HP, because it looks like it's got the best feature set. However, any of them would be fine for basic computing.

Collapse -
HP touchpad
by SJ2571 / November 28, 2009 2:05 PM PST

HP touchpads are terrible. I thought I'd get used to mine, but I haven't. They have a sort of glossy cover over them, and as a result, they are very slick. Any sort of moisture on your fingers will ruin its tracking and it always feels less accurate than other touchpads I've used. It's highly frustrating, even as a user who uses a mouse a lot of the time.

Collapse -
good point
by d_adams / November 30, 2009 1:37 AM PST
In reply to: HP touchpad

my sister has a Compaq laptop (designed by HP), and the touchpad got sticky and difficult to use right away because of the glossy plastic used on it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.