Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Look out insurgents - Granny is on her way :)

Here she comes

A 72-year-old Oklahoma grandmother is preparing to become one of the oldest US military staff to go to Iraq.
Lena Haddix, from Lawton, a military wife for nearly 30 years, says she volunteered for the Iraq mission.

"I wanted to do something for the country, because I was always left behind taking care of the children," Ms Haddix told the Associated Press.

Her five children, eight grandchildren and three great-grandchildren all discouraged her but to no avail.

"I just see so many of the boys. They're like little kids. They keep telling me, 'I'm going over, ... I would just like to go over and be with them."

'Vibrant individual'

Ms Haddix will be working for the Department of Defense's Army and Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES) which operates shops selling goods to US military personnel on army bases.

The Exchange opened its first store in Iraq in April 2003 and Ms Haddix has already worked for them elsewhere.

I shall be listening for a mass cease fire when Granny gets there. She'll woop them otherwise
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Look out insurgents - Granny is on her way :)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Look out insurgents - Granny is on her way :)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let me know when they are handing out Apaches

In reply to: Look out insurgents - Granny is on her way :)

I'd be happy to join in the effort over there. I'd just request a fully stocked Apache helicopter and someone who has a good sense of direction to help me, since my sense of direction is so bad, I'd likely end up attacking Nova Scotia! LOL

Good for this lady though! I would like to think more people would be willing to help also, if there were safe positions for them to assist with.

Collapse -
72 Virgins

In reply to: Let me know when they are handing out Apaches

Maybe an advertisement of a party with 72 virgins. When they all show up, they are greeted by 72 of the meanest parochial school nuns they never hoped to meet, LOL!

Collapse -
They are used to going down on their hands

In reply to: 72 Virgins

and knees.
Well, now they can go down with a scrubbing brush and bucket and clean the floors.
Those 72 virgin nuns will make sure of that I can tell you.

Collapse -
Personally I think there's a worse fate

In reply to: They are used to going down on their hands

Instead of 72 virgins, they ought to get stuck with Nicole Richie and Paris Hilton for the rest of eternity. Heck, make insurgent leadership the next road trip for them to screw up! That should be enough to make any self-respecting terrorist realize they are out of their league! Wink

Collapse -
Re: Let me know when they are handing out Apaches

In reply to: Let me know when they are handing out Apaches

Hi Diane,
She should be fairly safe where she is going, certainly not on patrol.
Should be nice for the guys out there to have a mother figure around, someone to talk to when they are missing their families back home.
I can just see you in that Apache, and the insurgents running for their lives. Love it Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.