Desktops forum

General discussion

Longevity...55 year old needs explanations

by infosaturated / January 17, 2010 12:19 AM PST

I am a semi-experienced computer user. I replaced my own power-supply once, I install my own software, hook up my own tv, stereo, etc., but all the different types of connectors and what they are for is very confusing. Like S-video and HDMI etc. I don't understand what would be best.

I'm on a limited income, but can afford to spend around 1000 dollars on a new desktop. I'm looking for something I won't have to replace too soon. For bugetary reasons I want to be able to replace parts, like a fan, a monitor or a harddrive if they fail rather than having to replace the entire thing at once.

I would like to be able to watch TV on it but would prefer a relatively small monitor, probably a 20 inch. I am into art so I have lots of images and I'd like to get into using Adobe Illustrator or something similar for image creation and manipulation. I also have lots of music files. I'd like to have an extra hard drive I can use for back-up.

What kinds of connectors should I be looking for? Is it as easy to change parts in a slimline case as it is in a regular case? Aside from a power cable, can a monitor be wireless?

I'd appreciate any advice you can offer.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Longevity...55 year old needs explanations
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Longevity...55 year old needs explanations
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Today all PCs, even HDTVs are 5 year designs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2010 12:45 AM PST

Let's get that out of the way first. It's been discussed too often but count on failures from purchase to 5 years and while you can replace this or that the ugly truth is the 5 year designs you see today.

Ok, wireless displays are just taking hold. CES 2010 found a bevy of that with a laptop that comes out TOMORROW at BB. Read about it at

This is very new stuff so let's give it 30 days for this to get into the shops so we can pick out a wireless display system for you.
Hang in there.

Collapse -
Slim line... not for me.
by VAPCMD / January 17, 2010 4:09 AM PST

Usually harder to work on, less product choice for replacement parts and limited cooling.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?