TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Longer HDMI cable, worse quality?

I'm looking for an HDMI cable, and I found a few good deals on newegg. If I get a cable that is around 10 feet long, will that have worse quality compared to a 6 foot long cable?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Longer HDMI cable, worse quality?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Longer HDMI cable, worse quality?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So far? No.

In reply to: Longer HDMI cable, worse quality?

Then again someone someday may have problems. Just not me or here.

Collapse -
Brand name

In reply to: So far? No.

Thanks, I found a Nippon Labs 15ft. HDMI cable, would you say that is a good brand? I have no idea about the information of cables.

Collapse -
Cabling

In reply to: Brand name

First of all, yes, length will make a difference in the quality you see. But where is that threshold? So long as the connections of the cable are soldered (like Analysis-plus and Monster Cables, etc.), one should be able to obtain a 50' run and still get good signal quality (speaking from my experience as a CE certified HDMI Installer). If the lenth you need is too far to obtain good signal strength, make sure your cable is rated for high speed (up to 10.2Gbps) and also purchase an HDMI extender, available from www.analysis-plus.com

Collapse -
Never heard of them. But try 50 meters.

In theory HDMI is good up to 50 meters. You are trying less than 10% of that.

Collapse -
NEW NAME>>>>>>>SAME ADVICE...........

WHEN IT COMES TO ANY CABLE OR SPEAKER WIRING; THE RULE OF THUMB HAS

ALWAYS BEEN THE SAME: THE SHORTER, THE BETTER.

THICKER THE GAUGE, THE BETTER.

DO NOT ASK ME WHY, BUT THICKER WIRE HAS A LOWER GAUGE; 14 IS BETTER THAN 16 OR 18.

I Have used 14G since college and have never had a problem.

Best wishes to all,

Riverledge.

Collapse -
HDMI cables

In reply to: NEW NAME>>>>>>>SAME ADVICE...........

we are talking about a DIGITAL signal via HDMI, "technicaly " there should be no signal degradation at any length.

Collapse -
Yes;

In reply to: HDMI cables

Digital, which is more subtle than analogue when it comes to loss while still getting a picture. HOWEVER, one is more likely to lose a digital signal than an analogue when stressed. And I will not ignore years of experience developing these things and seeing the difference between a good HDMI cable and a bad one. However subtle, ther is a definite difference and if one would like to extract maximum performance out of their set, that is one of the things to get: a good HDMI cable. Also, I would not chance buying a cheap un-soldered, unsheilded, low purity HDMI that is 20 meters and having to return it the following week because it wasn't passing the signal through after the installation.

"Technicaly", you are correct. But in real world situations, stuff happens.

Collapse -
Im using a 35 ft cable from Monoprice

In reply to: Longer HDMI cable, worse quality?

looks amazing on my +11 ft wide high-power screen fed by Bluray and HD-DVD at 1080p/24fps. I believe its not even 1.3 certified.

Collapse -
thanks

In reply to: Im using a 35 ft cable from Monoprice

I'm waiting to receive my 15 foot cable, I'll let everyone know how good the quality is. Thanks for the replies.

Collapse -
looks great

In reply to: thanks

I got the cable yesterday, hooked it up, and it looks great. I don't see any reason to buy a $150 cable from BestBuy or something, hopefully this lasts a while.

Collapse -
Great

In reply to: looks great

must be a soldered connection. That or you'll find out in 6 months or so.

Collapse -
then just get another

In reply to: Great

If it stops working in around 6 months then I can just get another for 10 bucks again. Thats $20 in a year compared to $150 for brand name cables.

Collapse -
More like $60 for the rest of your life

In reply to: then just get another

Monster products come with a lifetime replacement warranty. $20/year may seem like nothing, but it will add up in the course of 10 years, now you have $200 worth of junk cables. The Monster 600 series HDMI cable is $60. It has a lifetime warranty and silver soldered connections with OFCCu conductors. It is designed to last.

Have YOU taken apart your HDMI cable lately?

-N.

Collapse -
well, full retail for 1.3 certified

In reply to: More like $60 for the rest of your life

Monoprice HDMI cable is $3.19. Bulk is cheaper. And that's not to mention frequent sales, like last week's when they were less than $2.00 for one unit. I am not going to say they are better than X cable, but they are the beefiest HDMI cables I've ever seen or handled, and that includes the $300 Monster cables at BB.

The thing is I don't ever expect the need to replace mine. I have monster HDMI as well, but I sure as hell will never buy one of those again. Nor their optical cables. Nor any cable probably. I did buy a pair of stereo analogs from Monster, but they were open-box, so I figured why not for the price. I was in quick need, and at the store.

Collapse -
Hey, n. I know you stick up for Monster Cable, but the

In reply to: More like $60 for the rest of your life

large mass of us who wish to factor value into our decisions would really like to have a way to handle judging cable quality other than just a brand basis.

Sure we may need genuine carrying ability but really don't like being presented with a buying decision of having overpriced extras crammed down our craws.

If I needed something like a 35 footer that jostenmeat uses as monoprice & performing very nicely, I would try monoprice first with recognizing a little risk element.

Respecting your undeniable large body of knowledge beyond access for most of us,

Bill

Collapse -
Bill:

In reply to: Hey, n. I know you stick up for Monster Cable, but the

I do not know how the Monoprice cables are constructed. I have no clue as to whether they have soldered connectors, or what grade of OFCCu is being used. That said, 22AWG does seem pretty fat. Nonetheless, I know how Monster Cables are constructed, and I am sure they will last a lifetime of stress and beating. I am not so sure of the Monoprice cables.

Tell you what, I will purchase a Monoprice cable and test it as compared with the $60 Monser 600 series HDMI and get back to you on the results.

Anyways, just thought I might let you know that I'm judging on quality ONLY, not a brand-name basis ,which is why I would prefer Nordost and especially Analysis-Plus cables over Monster or ANY other brand of cabling.

Regards,

-N.

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks for your concern for us ordinary guys.

In reply to: Bill:

Collapse -
exactly

In reply to: thanks

There's really no need to buy super expensive cables. Of course a lot of people are gonna tell you it makes a huge difference, but it's just the usual "leetness" that people often get caught up in. I would never buy Monster cables, that's for sure. I've read from several trustworthy sites that put those cables to the test, only to find they make no difference at all.

Get a DECENT cable. Don't get some super cheap offbrand junk, but also don't bother paying exorbitant amounts for Monster cables or even philips. Stick to obvious advantages - such as a shielded and wrapped cable blocking out interference. Don't pay extra for some company's word (and the customers that buy from them) that they're superior or the only thing you can use. I often have problems with the tvs in this house having visible scanlines going up the screen because of the static - so I bought a static shielded cable for my game consoles. I didn't buy the absolute most expensive, leet thing I could find.

Collapse -
WHAT IS "LEETNESS"????...............

In reply to: exactly

I LIKE MONOPRICE AND PHILIPS........GOOD BANG FOR THE BUCK.

"LEETNESS"?

Oh well,

River.

Collapse -
leetness is....

In reply to: WHAT IS "LEETNESS"????...............

Originnaly from 1337 which was an ascii code for "elite," it referred to certain hacker/cracker groups that were more knowledgable about computer systems.
If you are "leet/1337" you know a lot about technology. Very few people are actually "leet/1337" most just repeat what they see and hear.

Collapse -
Monoprice 35' HDMI

In reply to: leetness is....

I'm running a 35' HDMI from Monoprice (thickest HDMI cable that I have ever seen) and I have no problems watching 1080i on my Olevia 42" LCD with a 722 box from DN. I had originally bought a 50'r and was able to return it for full credit on my 35'r. Monoprice is Great.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.