HolidayBuyer's Guide

Phones forum

Question

Long term suspension of a Verizon Wireless Number

by gary_mo / September 24, 2014 5:09 AM PDT

We use VzW. My daughter is now living overseas for at least the next year. She is on contract with Verizon having purchased a phone earlier this year.

We wanted to suspend her service while overseas. Apparently, Verizon only allows up to 180 days of suspension.

They've turned it back on now that the 180 days are up... we're paying for a service that gets no use whatsoever. She does however want to keep her number for when she returned.

Any thoughts on how to deal with this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Long term suspension of a Verizon Wireless Number
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Long term suspension of a Verizon Wireless Number
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Port it to a low cost provider like Ting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2014 5:14 AM PDT

With Ting I would not have to suspend my number.
Bob

Collapse -
About 6 bucks a month without usage.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2014 11:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
Contacts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 26, 2014 12:40 AM PDT

Just like my PC I backup and restore such things.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Bob is right- port it out
by Pepe7 / September 24, 2014 10:35 AM PDT

I suggest going with something even less expensive than Ting. Something like Net10, etc. Shop around to see who make you top off the account least frequently with the lowest amount of minimum funds/balance.

First things first though, make sure Verizon isn't going to charge you any fees since you recently left 'suspended' mode. YMMV.

Collapse -
Contacts etc....
by gary_mo / September 26, 2014 12:05 AM PDT

... and when you port the number to Net10 or Ting, what happens to your contacts?
And... can you then move it all back to Verizon on a non-contract basis later on?

Thanks

Collapse -
Depends on hardware/software & carrier
by Pepe7 / September 26, 2014 2:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Contacts etc....

Typically they are willing to do less for you in the stores if you are a pre-paid customer. But sometimes you can have one transfer them over from an old phone using the Cellebrite machines.

Normally though, I find a good way to export the contacts first so they are properly backed up, or present in a format that can be easily imported to the new phone. Verizon AFAIK does offer their own backup system, which I believe you can see on their support site online. It probably only works when you migrate from one Verizon issued phone to another though.

I still prefer using Google for contacts since it's really, really easy now to import into nearly any other smartphone OS.

Collapse -
Plan "B" option?
by gary_mo / September 29, 2014 8:06 AM PDT

Does Verizon allow me to associate an old dumb phone with the account (i.e. remove the iPhone) and therefore at least stop paying the $30/month data plan... and then move back the iPhone when she returns?

Thanks

Collapse -
Yes, AFAIK
by Pepe7 / September 29, 2014 12:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Plan "B" option?

At least ATT (& I believe, Verizon too) used to do this. Only smartphones & some feature phones mandate their associated data/texting plans.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.