Computer Help forum

General discussion

Long Start-up time

by no_me_ames0911 / May 27, 2007 1:44 AM PDT

Off late, my computer was taking extreme long startup time (upto 35-40 mins). I went into start-up services through msconfig and disabled all services. Then I enabled each service one by one and finally found the culprit. I have three instances of WMI in the list of services. I have enabled WMI (appearing only as Windows management instrumentation) and disabled WMI driver extension and WMI performance adapter. The start up time is now back to normal.

Can anyone tell me what the disabled services (WMI driver extension and WMI performance adapter) are for and why they take so long time if enabled? Possible infection? IF I run without these services being loaded on startup would I have any problems?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Long Start-up time
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Long Start-up time
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Problems? Yep. . .
by Coryphaeus / May 27, 2007 2:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Long Start-up time

Open Administrative Tools in Control Panel. Click on Services. Scroll down to WMI, double click it and look at the Dependencies tab.

Why it's slowing your system down, I don't know.

Collapse -
I opened WMI under administrative tools....
by no_me_ames0911 / May 27, 2007 5:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Problems? Yep. . .

and it says.. This service depends on the following system components: REMOTE PROCEDURE CALL (RPC)

and... The following system components depend on this service
- Security centre
- Windows Firewall / Internet connection sharing (ICS).

Collapse -
Additional Info.....
by no_me_ames0911 / May 27, 2007 5:54 AM PDT

WMI driver extension has no dependencies.
and WMI performance adapter is dependent on Remote procedure call (RPC)

Collapse -
I'll write "don't"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2007 2:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Long Start-up time

The machine's long startup time is not because of those services and such. Something changed such as spyware, malware or other issues. Find that and fix that.

Tell what spyware and other scans you have performed.

Bob

Collapse -
I had NIS 2007 installed till yesterday...
by no_me_ames0911 / May 27, 2007 5:49 AM PDT
In reply to: I'll write "don't"

and I was having all sorts of problem. I then changed to KAspersky and it immediately found 2 trojans and deleted them. I uninstalled NIS before installing KIS. NIS however didnt find any threats. In addition I am using Spybot S&D and Adaware SE. Once I also run Windows defender and it came out with nothing. Since this morning I am running the comp with the two services (WMI driver ext and WMI performance adapter disabled) and the computer is running normal. (WMI is enabled though).

I have a Sony Vaio notebook with 1 GB RAM. Please let me know if you need further details. Any help would be much appreciated.

Collapse -
Just a comment and another scan..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2007 7:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
I did the scan..
by no_me_ames0911 / May 27, 2007 7:53 PM PDT

This is AVG antispyware online scan. I have done that a couple of weeks back including Bit defender and a few others I dont remember the names now). They all came out clean.

Collapse -
Now a drive fitness test.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2007 11:59 PM PDT
In reply to: I did the scan..

Let's make sure your drive isn't failing. The drive fitness test should be from your drive's maker.

Bob

Collapse -
How to know ..
by no_me_ames0911 / May 28, 2007 7:11 AM PDT

the manufacturer of hard drive? Do I have to open up the computer to know manufacturer or is there another way of knowing? and how do I do a drive fitness test? (I think the drive maufacturer is Toshiba but I am not sure). Do I have to download any software from Toshiba website?

Collapse -
I use these tools to figure it out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 28, 2007 7:41 AM PDT
In reply to: How to know ..

1. BELARC ADVISOR (see google.com) BIG HINT!!! Print that out and save with your documentation.

2. EVEREST FREE EDITION at google.com. Lots of information that I use at times.

Bob

Collapse -
I installed Belarc advisor and
by no_me_ames0911 / May 30, 2007 9:13 PM PDT

ran a scan. It didnt report the hard drive manufacturer. It just reported the disk size and a long alphanumeric character. I have now set WMI performance adapter and WMI driver extension to "Manual" and everything seems to be running fine.

Collapse -
have now set WMI performance adapter and WMI driver extensio
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 30, 2007 9:32 PM PDT

"have now set WMI performance adapter and WMI driver extension to "Manual""

How did this change from it's stock settings? There was another member complaining of slow PC syndrome but they didn't share what changes they had made.

Bob

Collapse -
I dont know....

how the settings changed but when I was doing this exercise of disabling and enabling each service one by one I found that enabling these programs leads to a very long start up time. At the time of changing, these 2 services were set to "Automatic" which I later changed to "Manual".

Collapse -
Links that note the default was Manual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 30, 2007 10:51 PM PDT
In reply to: I dont know....
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.