Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Long Range Wireless Networking

by junebuggnc / September 17, 2006 1:27 PM PDT

Lucky me, I built my house out of DSL and Cable service areas. I am hesitant to go with Satellite for high speed also am not in a wireless hotspot. I need to network my personal desktop and my work laptop. I am hearing that running a VPN over satellite will result in 50%-75% degredation in signal strength.

I am 1000-1500 feet from the cable lines (through the woods). It would be $8000 out of my pocket per the cable company for them to run run the lines to my house. My parents have cable high speed (that 1000-1500 feet I mentioned earlier).

I would like to setup a wireless network in their house with a wireless router that would reach my house. Asside from the structural walls, just woods - no other structures. Can this be done? Does anyone have any suggestions or products that I can research.

Thanks,
Junebuggnc

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Long Range Wireless Networking
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Long Range Wireless Networking
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ouch...
by ethanallen2 / September 17, 2006 9:53 PM PDT

You'll be asking a lot of your routers. I don't have a foot converter, but most wireless do 10 to 15 meters no problem... anything in between will cause trouble too.

Collapse -
Max Range Antenna
by eeffis / September 18, 2006 1:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Ouch...

Take a look at this antenna. Claims it has a max range of 9.8 miles.

http://nanosys1.com/net-w-ng-ant24d18.html

Might just work. The shop from that link is a locally owned shop that is very reputable. If you dont feel safe ordering from them google search the part number and Im sure many more online retailers would carry it.

If you get it let me know how it works!

Good luck!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.