Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Long Range Wifi(intermittent disconnects)

by Acampbell128 / August 12, 2010 4:40 AM PDT

I am trying to connect wifi to three buildings for a dvr setup. I am using a linksys dual band wireless n router, A engenius 5610 Access point-bridge which is hard wired to the router, my pcs are using realtek 11n usb(hiro 802.11 bgn wireless adapter model #H50194) I get full signal with internet in both buildings.My problem is about every 5-15 minutes both will disconnect for no reason. How do i fix this, or what can cause this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Long Range Wifi(intermittent disconnects)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Long Range Wifi(intermittent disconnects)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Seems right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 12, 2010 4:48 AM PDT

As you are out in the wide open anything from a leaky microwave over to a cordless 2.4 GHz phone can knock out the link.

If you need to get a more stable link you should look at other than wifi links.

Bob

Collapse -
Still not understanding
by Acampbell128 / August 12, 2010 4:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Seems right.

Wifi is my only option, I can't afford to trench 80+ ft. If I amplify the signal will that help.

Collapse -
Who said trench?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 12, 2010 5:01 AM PDT

Given the wide open nature of wifi at 2.4GHz and all the interference you'll have to try dishes but amplifiers only amplify the problem. If you don't believe then go right ahead.

Try directional reflectors first but the cure is well known. Example at http://www.mrvfso.com/MRW55.htm

Bob

Collapse -
Ok, now i get it!
by Acampbell128 / August 12, 2010 5:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Who said trench?

Sorry, i misunderstood your first post thought you were saying look at options other then wifi. Thank you i will look into that. So pretty much i need to get off the commonly used 2.4ghz freqency.

Collapse -
That depends.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 12, 2010 5:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Ok, now i get it!

Ok I bet you hate that title but it all depends on the site. But here's the bitter truth. You are linking at 2.4GHz and it's a safe bet that at either end are other 2.4GHz equipped machines so the noise in the 2.4GHz range should be incredible.

Reflectors at both ends might help but often that only helps the other end to see more of the machines that it is pointed at.

2.4GHz for the building machines and another link frequency that is not 2.4GHz for the link is the usual cure.

And some can figure out to put the link up at the top channel and the internal building wifi routers at the bottom channel. But that does not always cure it.
Bob

Collapse -
World of Help!
by Acampbell128 / August 12, 2010 5:37 AM PDT
In reply to: That depends.

Thank you so much. This is for a client of mine, who is 4 hours away, and I can't afford to keep sending my techs down there. You gave me alot to try. Hopefully something will work, I think the access/bridge is dual band and has the option to run a 5ghz....
So this is my list i am sending with my tech.
1.Change Engenius to Bridge
2.Check security settings on both bridge and routers. use WPA not WEP, WEP=problems
3.If at all possible change freq settings
4.Put the link in the highest channel and the wifi routers at lowest.
5.2.4 for pc/ 5ghz for bridge.

That sound about right?

Collapse -
Client?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 12, 2010 6:07 AM PDT
In reply to: World of Help!

Sorry I thought this was your own thing.

Remember that with off the shelf consumer gear we should suffer a little. But antennas, settings and testing to see what helps or not is very common with the off the shelf stuff.

I found the reflectors to help, the channels, the WPA and more. Try the scientific method. Change one thing at a time. Better or worse? Then change the next.

I missed where you used reflector antennas.
Bob

Collapse -
Reflectors
by Acampbell128 / August 12, 2010 6:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Client?

I did leave reflectors out for one reason. the bridge is pointing right at the Ant. for the Usb Wireless Adapters.
The two buildings i am tranferring signal to there is only one pc/per building that is using this connection. And we are already over-budget on this.

Collapse -
What can I write here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 12, 2010 6:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Reflectors

Reflectors are usually free. We use the old DISH TV units you see thrown out.

Collapse -
Reflectors?
by Acampbell128 / August 12, 2010 6:39 AM PDT
In reply to: What can I write here.

"We use the old DISH TV units you see thrown out."
As in the actual dish right?

Collapse -
And some use kitchen equipment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 12, 2010 6:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Reflectors?

Example at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDVydiiBfiE

The kitchen gear is really cheap and often is stainless steel which stands up great to outdoors. But the point here is that reflectors are free to cheap. Lots of articles about this.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!