Computer Help forum

Question

Long ethernet cable run

by Cowshedman / October 11, 2011 4:59 AM PDT

Hi there,

New to this so would appreciate so guidance. I have a satellite broadband set up in my house. However, I need to run an ethernet cable from my modem/router to another building on my property that is c.200m away (because it's way too far for wi-fi and there is a field in between the 2 properties).

In this other property I would like to connect the cable to another wireless router so I can use my laptop wirelessly.

Firstly, is this even possible?

Secondly, I have read that standard RJ-45 ethernet has a max working length of 100m. Is there anyway around this by using higher grade cable?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Long ethernet cable run
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Long ethernet cable run
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
See if google can help
by Steven Haninger / October 11, 2011 5:36 AM PDT

search for "ethernet extenders". You'll find plenty of them. A higher grade of cable isn't going to be enough. You'll also need a grade fit for that use. I'd try not to expose it to lightning so you may have to bury it.

Collapse -
Ethernet extenders
by Cowshedman / October 11, 2011 3:28 PM PDT
In reply to: See if google can help

The problem is that these extenders seems to need power. Is there anyway of simply running a very long ethernet type cable with the standard connections at each end. I have read that certain types of cable have a longer range but have no idea if these have the same type of connection as standard ethernet.

I guess I can't use any sort of wireless signal booster (as I have wifi in the house) as there would be no place to power the extender from in the middle of a field.

Thanks

Collapse -
Don't need power in the middle of the field
by Steven Haninger / October 11, 2011 8:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Ethernet extenders

You need power in the main building and power in the remote building. I presume the remote building has AC power as you'd need that for your computer hardware. While I've never had need to set one of these up, I know that some use RJ-11 (telephone cable) between the extender boxes. The extender boxes must buffer/convert the signal in some way...perhaps do analog conversion but I don't know. It's a transmitter/receiver system that doesn't have the 100m limit of ethernet. I suppose, for bigger bucks, you could do fiber but I imagine the cost would be out of your range. Either way you're going to need to protect the cable over that distance and my guess is the majority of your cost would be in that part of your project.

Collapse -
Also found plenty using POE
by Steven Haninger / October 11, 2011 10:40 PM PDT

Looks like that should work but I've no experience with running cable past the 100m limit so cannot recommend brands.

Collapse -
Answer
Cable differences, check link
by Willy / October 11, 2011 11:46 PM PDT

As for cables, using "high quality" actual cable make-up does make a difference, Cat-5e rated. The connector ends remain the same. However, at 100M runs to the open environment, you need to verify for outdoor use as well, though it may not seemly look that way. Plus, if you run along existing wiring, it may pick-up inductance or interference from other electrical sources. You can still look into wifi setup using "uni-directional antenna". Here any signal strength is radiated in one directional path to best use its signal and practically making a P2P setup.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.