Windows 7 forum

Question

Long Boot-up Time

by DerfX / April 21, 2011 8:27 AM PDT

Hello all, I have a question regarding what seems like an extra long boot-up time. Everything seems to work fine and it comes off of standby almost instantly, but when I shut down to do a re-boot to clear it out, it seems like it is taking a little longer than it did when it was new.
And I know adding stuff can make that happen and I do have a few things that I added that I expect to make it take a little longer but I was curious about one thing in particular. I have (4) network drives "mapped" in my Windows Explorer just so I can have quick access to the drives on the other computers in my house. But, most always, non of them are turned on so I get one of those little cloud pop-ups that says something like, "Could not connect to network drives" or something like that.
So, I was just wondering if having a bunch of drives mapped like this can cause Windows to stall a bit during a boot-up because it is looking for drives that aren't there.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Long Boot-up Time
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Long Boot-up Time
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
I wonder why this is a question?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 21, 2011 9:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Long Boot-up Time

The forum now has this choice when you post and if you post as a question it hampers have a discussion.

Did you look at your machine with AUTORUNS? It's over at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

And lean? Can to share your HIJACKTHIS LOG? It's worth a quick peek?

And what about this machine? Make, model and details seem absent. For example many install Norton or another large app and then discover it carries a price.
Bob

Collapse -
I didn't realize the format change hampered discussion
by DerfX / April 21, 2011 11:29 AM PDT

And sorry, I forgot the machine info, it was all in my profile but I should have supplied it here too.
I haven't installed "Hijackthis" on this machine yet and no Norton, I strip that out and use AVG only.
I also examined everything I have "auto-starting" and don't have anything I need except for one questionable item. I use an old Sandisk Thumbdrive as an additional backup to my online banking and it is setup with U3. I know the Cruzer U3 is infamous for trouble but it never caused a problem before, but that's not to say it isn't conflicting with something now. Here is a link to a screen-shot of my Task Manager
And here are my machine specs:

Collapse -
Link to Screen Shot of Task manager
by DerfX / April 21, 2011 11:36 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re-posted, so locking this.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 21, 2011 9:59 PM PDT

It avoids any others from chipping in.

Mark

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
When new.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 21, 2011 8:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Long Boot-up Time

These machines usually have little protection. Folk add apps plus more protection and sometimes these slow down the boot.

But why BOOT? Why not use hibernation to skip the long boot?
Bob

Collapse -
Rarely Boot
by DerfX / April 21, 2011 9:30 AM PDT
In reply to: When new.

I don't re-boot often,maybe once or twice a week, just to clear the caches and such. Plus, I've encountered an interesting issue where web content can't open my Windows Media Player to see a video or play an mp3 unless I reboot.
When I open the Task Manager, like right now, I only have 26 processes running and just 1 application. So I think I still have it running pretty lean.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.