Speakeasy forum

General discussion

London gets the Olympics.

by James Denison / July 5, 2005 10:29 PM PDT

London should have their own thread, not be stuck under Paris, especially after some crude comments by their leader the other day about the English spoken unknowingly (maybe) over an open microphone.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SPORT/07/06/singapore.olympics/index.html

London to host 2012 Summer Olympics

London will host the 2012 Summer Games, members of the International Olympic Committee decided today. IOC president Jacques Rogge made the announcement after IOC members eliminated Paris, Madrid, New York and Moscow in four rounds of voting.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: London gets the Olympics.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: London gets the Olympics.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Good for them... looking forward to it
by MKay / July 6, 2005 3:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Paris didn't deserve it
by dirtyrich / July 6, 2005 3:08 AM PDT
Collapse -
Why not?
by Dan McC / July 6, 2005 3:20 AM PDT

How was their bid inferior to London's in your opinion?

Dan

Collapse -
look at what england has done
by Mark5019 / July 6, 2005 3:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Why not?

and look at the un lawfull money france got from saddam.
you award good countries.

Collapse -
What the he!! does Saddam have to do with the Olympics?
by Tibbs / July 6, 2005 12:55 PM PDT

In any case, the olypics is a competition that stands for peace and for bringing people from different nations together. And I seriously doubt that England is good in this case since they are still a nation at war in Iraq! The only twop nations that are not in war are France and Spain and thus the only ones that actually deserve the OG's. On the other hand, few nations have ended up profitting from the Olympics so we might as well celebrate that a War nation like England at the moment, gotta pay for the party!

Collapse -
what part of the theivery dont you understand?
by Mark5019 / July 6, 2005 2:03 PM PDT

chiracs henchmen were in saddams pockets.
unlawfully might i add.

would you reward him for that?

he screwed up his "french" honor( if there ever was any.) and you would turn around and say your country deserves the olimpics?

i wouldnt let the french sell wine at them

Collapse -
war nations and olympics
by James Denison / July 6, 2005 2:06 PM PDT
On the other hand, few nations have ended up profitting from the Olympics so we might as well celebrate that a War nation like England at the moment, gotta pay for the party!

They pulled that one on the Nazis before too.

the olypics is a competition that stands for peace and for bringing people from different nations together.

Hmm, oddly enough war brings people from different nations together for a competition.
Collapse -
typical euro-trash speaking....
by jonah jones / July 6, 2005 3:41 PM PDT

if you bothered to check the facts, you'd see that 1.5B GBP will be raised via public lottery...

Collapse -
Ummm...generally being divisive and arrogant
by dirtyrich / July 6, 2005 8:25 AM PDT

in relations with not only the US, but also Eastern Europe.

Collapse -
That could be
by Dan McC / July 7, 2005 2:19 AM PDT

what contributed to NYC not being selected.

Dan

Collapse -
What bothers me.
by James Denison / July 6, 2005 2:09 PM PDT

Is that both England and France have large ethnic groups of Islamist, although France seems to have the larger amount of them. I'm wondering if the Olympics will be too tempting a target being so close?

Collapse -
Barely I utter the words....
by James Denison / July 6, 2005 10:05 PM PDT
In reply to: What bothers me.

....and it seems the terrorist are ALREADY hitting London with bombs following their getting the Olympic games. First news indicates however it's related to a G8 meeting going on there.

Collapse -
I also wondered about this, James
by TONI H / July 6, 2005 10:14 PM PDT

further down in this thread and believed it was actually a blessing in disguise for NYC.......I can't even begin to imagine what NYC would be like right now.

I hate this crap...........

TONI

Collapse -
And so James
by Steven Haninger / July 6, 2005 5:11 AM PDT

What event will you be training for?;)

Collapse -
I don't want James to train for it...
by David Evans / July 6, 2005 11:38 AM PDT
In reply to: And so James

But I've long been an advocate of a Topless Pogo Stick competition. Popularity GUARANTEED.

DE

Collapse -
I'm Hip..
by gooslojo / July 6, 2005 12:00 PM PDT

Especially now,that we are guaranteed NOT to see an East German Womens Entry

Collapse -
RE
by MKay / July 6, 2005 6:06 AM PDT

James, I wish it were the winter olympics... Would like more "Eddie the eagle" stuff and for those to young to remember, he was a skier

Collapse -
Arctic
by James Denison / July 6, 2005 2:00 PM PDT
In reply to: RE

Hey, those artic line countries need something too you know. Anyway, they have a premium on all the ice and snow.

Collapse -
Wondering
by TONI H / July 6, 2005 8:12 AM PDT

if the vote kicked out New York so early because the judges were fearful of another terrorist attack on that city like what happened before at the other Olympics.....especially now. New York may have felt they were ready for the Olympics to be brought there, but I don't think the world is ready for anything that huge to be a target again, and England seems to be the safest bet of all the countries bidding for it. This decision could have actually been a blessing in disguise.

TONI

Collapse -
Probably more because ...
by Evie / July 6, 2005 12:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Wondering

... of the haggling over the West Side Stadium / funding / etc. What WOULD have been interesting is had they chosen NY w/o the WSS going through as the promoters had been pushing it as the only way to get the Olympics. I'm not sure NYC is really the best place for an event of this nature. In the end, they say the polls that many New Yorkers were less than thrilled at the prospect (vs. apparently much higher levels of popular support in the European cities under consideration) was an issue. Terrorism, though, HAD to be on any realistic radar screen as well.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
NY vs London
by James Denison / July 6, 2005 1:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Wondering

I'm kinda glad we didn't get it this time. It would have been too politically sensitive I think. As for entering the competition as mentioned above, not for me unless they have a hot dog eating contest, Wink

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?