TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

LOL, turn your old crappy TV into a 200" PROJECTOR

by bkchurch / April 2, 2007 9:19 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LOL, turn your old crappy TV into a 200" PROJECTOR
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LOL, turn your old crappy TV into a 200" PROJECTOR
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HOW COOL A BILLION DOLLOR SYSTEM FOR $6.95
by stewart norrie / April 2, 2007 9:49 AM PDT

PLEASE SEND THAT ADD TO JAY LENO for The Tonight show. I would say 1" of that screen my cost $6.95 THAT MADE MY DAY STEWEEE

Collapse -
Wow Stewee imagine what this thing would do
by bkchurch / April 2, 2007 9:56 AM PDT

If you used it with your 72" monster Toshiba. You could project it on the ground outside at night and it would be like the Daytona 500 was right outside.

Collapse -
Wow! Let me shove furniture for a big blank wall.
by NM_Bill / April 2, 2007 11:20 AM PDT

I'm ready for that theater experience for $14.95. Reasonable, huh? High quality fresnel lens, oh yeah.

Collapse -
MR CHURCH I HAVE BEEN IN STITCHES ALL DAY
by stewart norrie / April 2, 2007 3:00 PM PDT

I made a copy of that add and showed it to all my friends There is a part of The tonight show that Mr Leno shows different funny adds and that one takes the cake Well anyone want to buy my crappy Toshiba for $1.99 + tax do it and make the every one happy steweeeeeee

Collapse -
I want ...
by hyghwayman / April 2, 2007 3:32 PM PDT

one too. 7x10" lenz hmmmmmmmm never mind sounds like a lot of work!

hyghwayman

Maybe I could use the lenz to fry insects, or start a fire though!

Collapse -
I have seen this before!!!
by jcrobso / April 3, 2007 12:53 AM PDT

There have been other "lens" things over the years.
You will have a 19" TV sitting in the middle of you living room and a screen this creates front projector and the room MUST be totally dark.
They aren't telling what you need to build a frame to go on the front of the TV to hold the lens. Notice there are no pictures of how this thing is actually hook to the TV!!!
Only 14.95 cheep at half the price. John

Collapse -
lol
by bevillan / April 3, 2007 2:03 AM PDT

I can't imagine the PQ is good at all with this thing.

Collapse -
I've seen pics of the PQ on other listings
by bkchurch / April 3, 2007 2:09 AM PDT
In reply to: lol

On some in looks absolutely horrid, on others it doesn't look half bad. I must say I'd be tempted to try it out with an HD set and see the results although I wouldn't hold my breath on being impressed.

Collapse -
I think any one that can come up with this stuff..
by ahtoi / April 3, 2007 3:15 AM PDT

is one smart cookies. Now all they need is a few dumb fishes.

Collapse -
THE FIRST LENZ I EVER SAW
by stewart norrie / April 3, 2007 4:56 AM PDT

back in 1946 ha ha also the first t.v. I had ever seen this tiny round 2" c.r.t. with a lenz in front supported with brass legs It made the picture size go from 2" all the way up to 6" it was so much fun watching the Lone Ranger and Tonto ha ha steweee

Collapse -
Ok call me crazy but...
by bkchurch / April 3, 2007 11:11 AM PDT

I've been thinking about this for awhile but what if you set one of these lens's up with an HD CRT-TV? The whole concept is the lens catches and magnifies the light from the screen so wouldn't that actually work quite well? If you think about it, CRT's are just about the brightest TV's you can find so the picture probably wouldn't be that dim and the high-res would keep the picture from getting blurry and distorted when blown up to a bigger picture (obviously I'm not thinking 200" more like 90" or maybe just 75"). As long as colors don't bleed into each other it might work relatively well. Thoughts?

Collapse -
The "lens" looks like the sort of plastic rippled lens some
by NM_Bill / April 3, 2007 12:06 PM PDT

stick inside the rear window of RVs to magnify awareness of objects through the rear. Well, let's see about that picture quality? Likely next to zilch.

Collapse -
GOOD GOD, GOOD LUCK,,,,,,TOO MUCH STEWEE FOR YOU!
by Riverledge / April 3, 2007 3:00 PM PDT

I SINCERELY DOUBT EVEN STEWEE WOULD ENDORSE this project; picture quality would be next to nil. Maybe just nil. SOUNDS better on paper than reality. Back to the drawingboard............

river.

Collapse -
RIVER JUST ORDERED IT
by stewart norrie / April 4, 2007 4:23 AM PDT

Iam going to set my 72" outside my mobil home and install an I-MAX screen Then charge my trailer trach neighbors $10.00 each "0" my god blue ray James Bond in I-MAX I'am going to become rich stewe

Collapse -
Lol
by bkchurch / April 4, 2007 7:20 AM PDT
In reply to: RIVER JUST ORDERED IT

You're a genious Stewee

Collapse -
Well if you have $14.95 to burn, give it a try!!!
by jcrobso / April 5, 2007 2:54 AM PDT

And let us know how it works!!!!

I saw something like this about 15 years ago, you had to build a box that mounted to the front of the TV and held the lens in place. I figure that you would have to do something similar.

Actually you could take the lens and mirror part of an overhead projector and turn the face your CRT TV up and mount the mirror lens over it and project on the wall. Guess I should patten this idea???

About 14 years ago IBM had a Think Pad that had removable back on the LCD display. You could remove the back of the LCD display and set it on an over head projector and have an instant LCD projector. John

Collapse -
Ok, call me a friggin idiot
by bkchurch / April 6, 2007 9:23 AM PDT

But I just bought one, $23 US. I was too intrigued by the idea to not give it a try and if it doesn't work (which I doubt it will) then at the very least I'm not out much money and hell it'll probably be a fun little project to toy around with. I'm gonna try it with my 32" 4:3 SD tube TV and my 15" XGA widescreen laptop monitor and then I'll report back my results.

Collapse -
I THINK YOUR NUTS, BUT HEY ENJOY YOUR YOUTH!!!
by Riverledge / April 6, 2007 9:49 AM PDT

YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE.

GOOD LUCK;
riverledge.

Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!