Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

LOL, Steve Jobs taking shots at Michael Dell

by Milan_Blansher / January 16, 2006 12:51 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LOL, Steve Jobs taking shots at Michael Dell
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LOL, Steve Jobs taking shots at Michael Dell
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
After Steve Jobs gets through laughing,...
by Paul C / January 16, 2006 1:01 AM PST

...perhaps he could work on Apple's pathetic market share in both the desktop and notebook markets. I'm sure that iPod sales will reach saturation level soon - then what?

Collapse -
Yeah, without that market
by Dan McC / January 16, 2006 2:58 AM PST

share Apple might not be able to make it.

How long have we been hearing that line? 15 years? 20?

Dan

Collapse -
The video iPOD still has a long way to go, Paul.
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / January 16, 2006 7:40 AM PST

It's becoming an essential tool on college campuses -- kids use it to record their lectures, so they have both the screen *** of the bard/slides, plus the lecture. And it's also becoming important for buying individual TV show episodes online -- I'm kicking myself I didn;t buy the stock a bit over a year ago, at about 40% of it's current value. The "experts" then said it had anther 15% to run, but having tripled to that point, early buyers often sell when momentum slows, so the experts uess wrong on how high it'll go. Boy, was I wrong!

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That's amusing. :-)
by Dan McC / January 16, 2006 2:56 AM PST
Collapse -
and ps
by kmarchal / January 16, 2006 3:46 AM PST

if microsoft, the world's largest software company, did not buy $150 million of our Apple company stock in Aug of 97' I would not be sending this email right now. I would have been like Frank Carney a Papa John's franchisee owner.

Collapse -
no doubt that MS helped keep Apple afloat
by grimgraphix / January 16, 2006 3:52 AM PST
In reply to: and ps

but after hearing all the reviews of Vista and comments that it looks just like OS10 from the CES this past january... I tend to think Bill keeps Apple around just for the brain trust and new ideas! Grin

grim

Collapse -
I sure am...
by Angeline Booher / January 16, 2006 4:13 AM PST

.... giving the .Mac a look.

One reason - my desk space is very small, so I love the idea of that "all in one" monitor, and no tower.

(And their non-out- sourced tech support.)

First I need to buy a a "Macintosh for Dummies" to see if I am too dumb to learn a new system.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Easy as pie, Angeline
by EdH / January 16, 2006 4:22 AM PST
In reply to: I sure am...

I assume you are talking about the iMac G5. I wouldn't mind getting one myself. A couple friends have them and couldn't be happier.

Tried out a Mac Mini not long ago. It was real nice too and a bargain if you have your own monitor already.

Collapse -
Yep, I've got a...
by Angeline Booher / January 16, 2006 5:15 AM PST
In reply to: Easy as pie, Angeline

... 20 inch CRT.

There's an authorized center here, but well, and I do mean well, out of my driving range. Sure would love to get there and take some of those machines ''for a spin''. I keep hearing, ''You'll hate their mouse'', but I had to learn to use this one, too.

I like what the G5 has to offer, though it is really more than I need.

One of these days.... Happy

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
There are a variety of mice that will work with the Mac
by EdH / January 16, 2006 5:29 AM PST
In reply to: Yep, I've got a...

including Apple's new "Mighty Mouse".

Is there a Circuit City near you? Some of those as well as other electronics stores have Apple sections.

BTW so far the Mini is only available as a G4, rather than G5.

Collapse -
There are ...
by Angeline Booher / January 16, 2006 6:05 AM PST

... stores like you mentioned much closer to me. I have considered taking a taxi to one of them for the trial.

But if I buy an Apple, I'll do it through the authorized dealer. I have talked with them by phone. A guy said they could make me a better deal on added memory (they come with 512). All I want is 1GB and Apple Care extra. They'll also come to the house and transfer data for $85/hr.

The Mighty Mouse is standard. There is now a wirelss Mighty Mouse.

Ed, I visit their site almost every day. Happy

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Before you buy one........
by Glenda / January 16, 2006 5:49 AM PST
In reply to: I sure am...

check into how hard it is to upgrade thoae all in one Macs:( I bet they can't be upgraded at all:(

Collapse -
Yep.
by Angeline Booher / January 16, 2006 6:15 AM PST

They come with more HD (160 and up)than I would use in the rest of my lifetime, and though 1GB of memory is enough for me, right now I could get 4GB. Apparently they nave made the G5 quite upgradeable. They had to.

But you are right to caution me. Folks don't always check to see that their purchases can be upgraded. The technology moves too fast not to check on that.

Thank you, Glenda!

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
You can upgrade it...
by EdH / January 16, 2006 6:21 AM PST

depending on what you want to do. Obvioujsly because oif its configuration upgrades are limited. You can upgrade the hard drive, RAM, video card I believe. I don' think you can add hard drives or other drives, but I'd check it all out.

Collapse -
The truth is, if you get certain things at the original
by Roger NC / January 16, 2006 1:20 PM PST

purchase, things change so fast now that updating a standard PC is not longer as useful as it was.

Oh you can upgrade easily normally to more harddrive, more memory, and in some cases and if you're up to it, even change processors on the same board.

But unless you want to build it yourself for various good reasons, it's hard to imagine continuous upgrading vs replacing at many of the "shelf package" prices now. With the hardware and OS changes due in another year or so, I might would make small upgrades to hold out, then a few months after the new Windows and hardware start looking for a replacement.

Now that's assuming a 'normal home use'. Ok, so everyone's normal use is different, but even burning dvd's slideshows or movies isn't that hard on much packaged systems now.

If you're doing extensive video or sound track editing, as well as the latest&greatest action game, that's a different story of course. Then you may want to stay on the bleeding edge all the time.

Roger

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
It wasn't the cash.
by Dan McC / January 16, 2006 4:12 AM PST
In reply to: and ps

Apple had a tub of it at the time. It was the commitment to continue to develop Office for the Mac that was the big factor in that deal.

Dan

Collapse -
I would say it was more about monopoly
by kmarchal / January 16, 2006 4:41 AM PST
In reply to: It wasn't the cash.

microsoft is the only one at that time who could send/give apple/Jobs the money without the fears of a take over. Everyone knows if microsoft would takeover apple the Justice Department would step in, so apples best friend at that time was microsoft and microsoft needed apple to stay in business. The number 1 reason apple is still around today

Collapse -
#1 reason? Nah.
by Dan McC / January 16, 2006 5:06 AM PST

But it was a show of confidence that made things a bit easier for Apple at the time.

Dan

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!