Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows 7 forum

Question

Logitech wireless optical mouse

by colinito / August 30, 2012 2:16 AM PDT

Hello Everyone!
I am unsure if, as I am using W7 Home premium + SP1, whether problems with my mouse should be posted here or not.
The cursor freezes and will not move unless I click left or right or move the wheel.
I have changed the mouse batteries: Defragged: done a Disc Cleanup: Checked for Errors: Run AVG 2012: run Malwarebytes: run Spybot: Uninstalled the mouse and keyboard drivers (Which re-installed on re-opening). Run a Miocrosoft Fix-It check.
All to no effect.
I would be grateful for any advice!

Thanks in advance

Colinito

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Logitech wireless optical mouse
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Logitech wireless optical mouse
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
For now, a mystery.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 30, 2012 3:57 AM PDT

My old desktop did that and in that case it was the distance from the mouse to the USB nano receiver was a bit too far. It worked when I first set it up but a year later I had to move the USB nano receiver to about a foot away.
Bob

Collapse -
by colinito / August 30, 2012 4:13 AM PDT
In reply to: For now, a mystery.

Thanks for your post, Bob.

I have about 15 to 16 inches from the m/pad to the receiver, and it has never done this before.
I have one more test to do. I am charging my mobile through the USB, when it has finished, I shall restart the computer and see if the problem continues.
I'll be back with a result fairly soon!

Thanks
Colinito

Collapse -
by colinito / August 30, 2012 5:47 AM PDT
In reply to: For now, a mystery.

Mobile now charged. Computer restarted - no change! Cursor still freezes!

Colinito

Collapse -
Mouse issue
by pgc3 / August 30, 2012 5:59 AM PDT

Go out and buy a cheap (uhhh inexpensive) USB mouse and see what happens. Was the mouse part of a keyboard mouse combination package? You said "MOBILE CHARGED" what did that allude to?

Collapse -
by colinito / August 30, 2012 6:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Mouse issue

Hello pgc3,
A couple of posts ago, I mentioned that I was recharging my mobile through a USB, and in case this was a possible cause, I would restart and check the cursor when the charge was finished. I did that and it had no effect.
I shall buy a cheap USB mouse and see if that works - and I bought the wireless keyboard and mouse about six years ago.

Collapse -
by colinito / September 1, 2012 4:42 AM PDT

pgc3 and everyone,

Thank you for your input.
I have obtained a cheap USB mouse. I works well. I then went to the local Chinese bazaar - all the computer shops appear to shut on Saturdays! - and bought some strange unnamed wireless mouse.
It works well and has a USB sensor. The mouse also has two flat keys protruding from the thumb-side and a small round button with cpl on it just behind the wheel.
I 'played' around with it on a Word document but found no use for these three items.
There was no instruction paper with it, just the various language details about how good it was and how it would conserve electricity and act just like a corded mouse!

Regards

Colinito

Collapse -
by colinito / September 1, 2012 3:06 PM PDT

Hello pgc3 and everyone,

The two flat keys on the side of this odd mouse turn out to be 'page up' and 'page down,' respectively. The small button with 'cpl' on it remains a mystery.

Thank you all for your input, I shall now unsubscribe from the thread.

Regards,

colinito.

Collapse -
could cpl be for the Control Panel?
by Darrell / September 5, 2012 2:49 AM PDT
I've seen things listed as that. Check the control panel and see if it is listed, also under system icon. For example, three items are in the Control Panel, java 7 update 7, both 32 bit and 64 bit and I have flashplayer(32bit). Afriend gave me the wireless mouse but not the but minus the nano receiver. I have two USB mice, think I'll keep that. Darrell
Collapse -
Answer
About Spybot, Teatimer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 30, 2012 7:05 AM PDT

Those are pretty dated and can cause odd issues. Mix Teatimer and some versions of antivirus and odd things happen.

I'd uninstall Spybot and Teatimer for now.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Mouse
by evti87 / September 5, 2012 12:20 PM PDT

I once had this same issue. After a lot of frustration, I found out it was because there was a hair in between the laser and the surface where I was using my mouse. Every time since that this is happened, it's been the same thing, and removing the hair fixes it. Although it's possible that this is not the case with you, it's something worth considering. Sometimes it's the strangest things that cause our problems :-P

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!