Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Newbies forum

Question

Logitech Revue? Computer to tv?

by fmitchelltx01 / November 28, 2011 10:30 AM PST

I have recently purchased my first HDTV, a Toshiba 65H84C Projection Television. It has an HDMI input on the rear of the TV.I would like to be able to surf the internet, possibly rent movies from Netflix occasionally, view family pictures, etc on my big screen tv. Would I just hook up my extra (old XP) desktop computer up to my tv or would I be better served to buy something like the Logitech Revue?

I understand there are several different manufacturers of products like this, Sony among others) I have heard of streaming media players but have never seen one in action before. What are they and what do they do? I see that the Revue has something called Google TV. What is that?

I see that people are saying that it will soon have Honeycomb apps. I do not have a smart phone yet so I am in the dark when it comes to what apps are. Is this a product, the Revue, that is going to be obsolete very soon and not worth spending $100 on? Is it going to keep improving like an I-phone? Is this the best product or am I better looking at the Sony or other manufacturer product? What do I want / need? What is on the horizon for products such as this?

My broadband connection is in my home office room. The 65" tv is in the living room. I can use my laptop anywhere in the house as it connects to my router located in the home office room wirelessly. I have another older desktop computer in my home office room that connects to the router with an ethernet cable. My only broadband connection, as I say is in my home office room. The Logitech Revue connects to the router like my laptop does, wirelessly, correct?

The Revue is a stand alone device, like my Directv DVR is, correct? I have Directv and spend about $100 a month on that. Can I cut back my service with a product like the Revue? I watch a lot of sports (NFL, NBA, MLB and college football). Can I get tv stations such as ABC, NBC, ESPN, Fox, Spike, MSNBC, etc. through the Logitech Revue?

I have watched an old tv show on HULU one time on my laptop. What other services like that are out there? Do I need to purchase a subscription to a service such as HULU?

Where is the best place to learn about such technology. I am clueless as I say.

I think these are all my questions for now. Any ideas and or feedback would be greatly appreciated. I really want to get up to date on what computers can do now

Thanks!

Frank

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Logitech Revue? Computer to tv?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Logitech Revue? Computer to tv?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I own a Roku, Logitech Revue and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2011 10:42 AM PST

All these are unlike your PC. That is some are very upset that the Roku has Hulu Plus and not Hulu.com!

The Revue is better in that I get Amazon video and more JUST LIKE MY PC. However you might want 1080 output (Revue is 720p)

For that, look at the Sony Google TV and BluRay player. It's a bargain and does 1080p when possible.
Bob

Collapse -
Internet surfing?
by fmitchelltx01 / November 28, 2011 2:38 PM PST

Can I just surf the internet with any of these boxes? I go to Ebay, Facebook, ESPN, etc.. probably the most. Which would be best for that. It looks like the Sony has the most bang for the buck. They all seem to be around the same price. What about pictures from my laptop or desktop?

Collapse -
I can't write about ESPN.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2011 5:59 PM PST
In reply to: Internet surfing?

I've heard ESPN is problematic as it may use Silversomething. Only PC Windows users it seems.

As I wrote, these are not PCs. But the Google TV such as the Revue and Sony Google TV are as good as I've seen today and far cheaper than a laptop that would deliver the full PC Internet experience without question.

Nod to the Sony Google TV BluRay player at 150.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!