General discussion

Login woes - GMail IMAP on Thunderbird - Password Changed

---Last month I started using the GMail-IMAP facility with Thunderbird 2.0. It worked without a hitch for a month or so. At the beginning of this month I changed my GMail password. As expected, Thunderbird prompted me for the new password. But even after entering the new password umpteen times, Thunderbird just refuses to accept it. It just says 'Invalid Credentials (Failed)'.

---Now, I use the same password to login to Orkut, GTalk and GMail itself, but its not working with GMail-IMAP-Thunderbird. I tried using the old password, but to no avail. The password change has worked effortlessly with my Yahoo POP and my former GMail POP account for the past 1 year.

---Has anyone experienced this? Is it a known issue?

Thanks for sparing your time...
"Dexter".

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Login woes - GMail IMAP on Thunderbird - Password Changed
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Login woes - GMail IMAP on Thunderbird - Password Changed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Did you try

deleting the email account in Mozilla Thunderbird?

Did you then close Mozilla Thunderbird. Restart the computer. Install the account. Remember you also have to delete the outgoing server account.

Make sure when you ad the account again, make sure to allow pop forwarding.

pop.gmail.com port 995 SSL

smtp.gmail.com port 587 TLS(if available)

Rick

- Collapse -
Umm...That's the last option I wanted to try...

I always had that option at the back of my mind , but I will lose all my Custom Settings, Filters and all. Anyway, I don't think I have a choice. I will go ahead and delete the account and let you know the results...
Thanks,
"Dexter".

- Collapse -
Problem solved...

Eureka...I finally found the solution, though the hard way...

I deleted my account once. Recreated it using the same set of instructions and it was no surprise when I got the 'Invalid Credentials (Failed)' message again. I was about to give up when I decided to dig deeper in the GMail-IMAP help guide on Google. I found this link below which finally solved my troubles -
https://www.google.com/accounts/UnlockCaptcha?

With a little bit of R&D, everything can be solved... [:D]
Thanks,
"Dexter".

- Collapse -
Glad you got it fixed

CNET Forums

Forum Info