Thank you for being a valued part of the CNET community. As of December 1, 2020, the forums are in read-only format. In early 2021, CNET Forums will no longer be available. We are grateful for the participation and advice you have provided to one another over the years.

Thanks,

CNET Support

General discussion

Login woes - GMail IMAP on Thunderbird - Password Changed

Dec 7, 2007 11:06PM PST

---Last month I started using the GMail-IMAP facility with Thunderbird 2.0. It worked without a hitch for a month or so. At the beginning of this month I changed my GMail password. As expected, Thunderbird prompted me for the new password. But even after entering the new password umpteen times, Thunderbird just refuses to accept it. It just says 'Invalid Credentials (Failed)'.

---Now, I use the same password to login to Orkut, GTalk and GMail itself, but its not working with GMail-IMAP-Thunderbird. I tried using the old password, but to no avail. The password change has worked effortlessly with my Yahoo POP and my former GMail POP account for the past 1 year.

---Has anyone experienced this? Is it a known issue?

Thanks for sparing your time...
"Dexter".

Discussion is locked

- Collapse -
Did you try
Dec 8, 2007 2:42AM PST

deleting the email account in Mozilla Thunderbird?

Did you then close Mozilla Thunderbird. Restart the computer. Install the account. Remember you also have to delete the outgoing server account.

Make sure when you ad the account again, make sure to allow pop forwarding.

pop.gmail.com port 995 SSL

smtp.gmail.com port 587 TLS(if available)

Rick

- Collapse -
Umm...That's the last option I wanted to try...
Dec 8, 2007 2:51AM PST

I always had that option at the back of my mind , but I will lose all my Custom Settings, Filters and all. Anyway, I don't think I have a choice. I will go ahead and delete the account and let you know the results...
Thanks,
"Dexter".

- Collapse -
Problem solved...
Dec 8, 2007 3:14AM PST

Eureka...I finally found the solution, though the hard way...

I deleted my account once. Recreated it using the same set of instructions and it was no surprise when I got the 'Invalid Credentials (Failed)' message again. I was about to give up when I decided to dig deeper in the GMail-IMAP help guide on Google. I found this link below which finally solved my troubles -
https://www.google.com/accounts/UnlockCaptcha?

With a little bit of R&D, everything can be solved... [:D]
Thanks,
"Dexter".

- Collapse -
Glad you got it fixed
Dec 8, 2007 3:31AM PST