Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Login to Outlook Express Failure.

by JohnTar / March 22, 2011 8:31 AM PDT

I have read about this problem occurring on several occasions before, but not seen a response reported that cured it. My apologies if I raise it once again (hopefully, this time, for a successful conclusion to MY current problem). I live in the United Kingdom, in Pembrokeshire, Wales, and my ISP is 'Talk Talk' (originally I used 'Tiscali' which was taken over by 'Talk Talk' Internet Services some time ago, but have had no real problems with either provider in the past).

A few days ago our three household computers blocked email facilities - in and out - suddenly, all at the same time. They are wirelessly linked to a British Telecoms phone line through a common router. I get the onscreen message reading, "Logon - pop. tiscali.co.uk" in a pop-up window each time I try to receive or send mail. The window asks me to enter username and password. These are both shown correctly, but even if I re-enter them the window returns to my screen almost immediately. The larger Outlook Express process window tells me that I have a problem logging into my mail server (as if I DIDN'T already know!), and tells me that I have password rejection due to, "No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number:0x800CCC92". I've tried a System Restore change - it made no difference to the problem, as did re-entering the mail set-up details. I've also shut down and disconnected and then reconnected the router. The problem seems to come from outside of the computers, or something that affects each of them concurrently.

I am running Windows XP, using OE6 and IE8 as my main email and internet provision. I also run Firefox and Google Chrome. I've had no problems with my email reception before on my Dell Inspiron 1300 laptop, which is about six years old but gives me little in the way of problems. I also have a desktop PC (a Fujitsu Seimens Scaleo L running XP Professional) and my wife has a brand new laptop (an Acer Aspire 5742Z running Windows 7). The other two computers also have links into OE for email service, though the Aspire runs it through the updated Windows 7 programme. I am happy to run OE6; I'm used to it and it gives me what I require. I also don't want to go through the hassle of a change of address and advising friends and family of a change. I'd be very grateful for some advice and help with this problem, please. Thanks, folks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Login to Outlook Express Failure.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Login to Outlook Express Failure.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: mail error.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 22, 2011 8:40 AM PDT

Three things to try.

1. See if username and password still work from their webmail (if they have any).
2. Check the account settings - although it's VERY unlikely they fail all all three PC's at the same time.
3. Contact their customer service. A 'server error' is something with them, after all, not with you.

Kees

Collapse -
Login to Outlook Express Failure
by JohnTar / March 22, 2011 12:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: mail error.

Thanks for that, Kees_B. I've already tried items 1 and 2 of your suggested actions to no avail. I haven't tried suggestion 3 yet, but will - especially now that I've been advised by my ISP that I no longer have to pay for a technical or fault report phone call to them (used to cost an arm and a leg - as you probably know!). What puzzled me initially was that the fault condition occurred on all three computers, and that it had lasted so long: normally an ISP's server fault would be rectified quite quickly because it would affect so many people. I can't believe that such a fault condition would only affect my three computers!

Please would anyone who has any further suggestions contact me via CNET and help? Many thanks.

Collapse -
Service Status
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 23, 2011 6:43 AM PDT

Most ISP's, (especially in the UK), have a Service Status page on their web sites. I'm with VirginMedia and I know they do.

With mine they show the status of their various services, and email is listed as one of them.

It also lists broadband status which I must say I have never quite understood. If my broadband is down then I cannot get to their web site to check the status page, Happy

Unless it is available from one of those mobile phone thingys, but I don't have one of those!

Mark

Collapse -
by JohnTar / March 24, 2011 11:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Service Status

Thanks, Mark. All seems to be well with Tiscali/TalkTalk, apparently, and I've just checked (again!) and my email is still showing the same problem. As I've said: I cannot understand why this is affecting three computers! It MUST be either the ISP or the router (I've disconnected the router, switched it off. reset it - done just about all that I can think of, or have been advised to do). All three computers are working fine on internet. Fortunately I've got the TalkTalk webmail to use (using now...), but it has its problems (storage size for one, and it's a bit slow operationally). I haven't contacted Tiscali/TalkTalk yet but will have to now I suppose. OR, it's download my old mails I want to keep onto external memory, and open an email service with Firefox or Google. Any suggestions about preferability, folks? Thanks again.
John

Collapse -
That's strange,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 24, 2011 10:05 PM PDT

and I don't have a ready solution for you. You have already cycled the modem/router/computers, and that hasn't worked. It probably is not anything to do with the modem or router, otherwise you would have had other issues, like internet access.

Have you had any other issues with these computers recently? I'm thinking viruses or other malware, or perhaps you have changed from one anti-virus to another? Or has your current anti-virus updated recently, around the time this started?

Anything else strange happen about the same time?

It 'is' possible that some corrupt email is preventing downloads, but that wouldn't stop your OE from connecting the way it is.

I think you are right, that it is time to talk direct to Talk Talk Help & Support, and if that fails, perhaps post in one of their forums. I found this one that has others posting for help;
http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54500

I also found a list of "Settings" for email software here;
http://www.talktalkmembers.com/content/view/67/68/
It might help to confirm you have the right settings.

I'm not sure what you mean by Firefox and Chrome. They don't do email specifically and all browsers can log on to web mail services.

Other email software is Outlook, or Windows Live Mail, or Thunderbird, (same developers as Firefox), are the main ones.

Mark

Collapse -
Outlook Express failure.
by peacox / March 26, 2011 1:54 PM PDT
In reply to: That's strange,

Can I ask a few questions and make a few observations about your reported problems?
Do you have 3 seperate email accounts 1 on each machine or is there 1 account with 3 email addresses?
When you attempt to send or receive mail on each machine do you get the identical error message from each one? The reason I ask is that that error message contains information from the server settings and the info shown in your original posting does not relate to the published settings for TalkTalk email.
One of your postings said you had re-entered the account setup details so has the error message changed? Please do a send/receive on OE or a synchronise on Live Mail and post the error message in full.While we are on the subject of windows7 it does not support Outlook Express and OE is not suppied but Live mail is OE in disguise with some of the settings more subtley hidden.
Finally for now has your bank forgotten to pay your ISP account this month because the first service that gets suspended is when that happens is email, believe me I have seen it happen.

Another one I've seen concerns takeovers and mergers, for a few months both services coexist with their own personal settings happily using a mixture of settings, then one day the ISP simply discontinues the old settings in favour of the new and all hell breaks loose. I notice from their web page that TalkTalk now uses mail.talktalk.net as their pop3 server.

Collapse -
(NT) Sorry Mark,I hung my reply on the wrong post
by peacox / March 26, 2011 1:57 PM PDT
Collapse -
No problem and I think the OP will understand.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 26, 2011 7:58 PM PDT

And, good questions! Happy

Mark

Collapse -
by JohnTar / March 28, 2011 10:50 AM PDT

Thanks for all of the above, folks. I have been busy with other things this last few days and have not had time to deal with this. I fortunately have a direct email facility with Tiscali (Talk Talk), so have been able to use that - though it is a bit long-winded in operation.

I'm going to have to contact the ISP I think: I've tried all the suggestions that you have kindly given me. I apologise for my misuse of technical jargon when refering to ISP's and mail provision - I guess that you have understood the points that I have been making throughout this. Yes, I realise that OE doesn't operate on Windows 7, but ALL of the email facilities operated correctly on all three computers until all three suddenly stopped receiving: my mail was being received on 7 as "webmail" I believe. Anyway, everything was fine in the XP and Windows 7 world for me until "Zonk!" - it stopped. Something else I realised only yesterday is that I CAN send messages using OE, but can't download any because of this login window cutting me off!

I've tried using pop.talktalk.co.uk, mail.talktalk.net and pretty much any combination of Talk Talk/Tiscali POP3 server logons. No joy with any of them. Soooo, it's me to phone the ISP and throw the problem at them. Thanks for all your help; I'll let you know what the fault was...
John

Collapse -
Login to Outlook Express Failure.
by JohnTar / March 29, 2011 3:55 AM PDT

Finally, I have found that very recently Talk Talk have changed their mail facility - within the last couple of weeks in fact, without, it seems, advising users. Apparently this is an "upgrade" to webmail. This has apparently caused a considerable number of problems for users and has affected OE and several other means of obtaining email. There are a series of explanations of faults that can be found and the fixes to be used to re-enable various lost mail facilities. I have found a situation description that fits my problem (repeated requests to login), however, the alleged "cures" have made no difference to my situation: I STILL have the login box coming up. I have therefore opened a mail account with Firefox using the Google Gmail facility. I will delete old emails I no longer want on OE, and keep those items I might need in the future in OE on my harddrive. I can, apparently, retain my existing address as well as have a new Gmail address. Many thanks for all of your suggestions and for helping me along with this nutty problem.
John

Collapse -
Often the case, and if I may say so,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 29, 2011 8:53 PM PDT

poor testing on behalf of TalkTalk.

Changes like that often trip users up, but TalkTalk should fully test any proposed changes before releasing them into the wild.

So, things are sorted, but not entirely satisfactorily. Sorry to hear that.

Mark

Collapse -
Login to Outlook Express Failure - NOW FIXED!
by JohnTar / April 6, 2011 10:03 AM PDT

And here's how: Tiscali/TalkTalk had in fact changed my password! I have always, since I joined Tiscali some years ago, used the same password (yes, I KNOW that it should be changed occasionally if not regularly, but I've had no trouble with the particular password I had been using - and I could remember it). I'd tried just about everything I could think of, as I explained before, but I didn't think of a password tinker - passwords, though probably common knowledge to your ISP, are SUPPOSED to be a private issue between them and you are they not? Note that earlier I mentioned that the problem occurred when TalkTalk went Webmail. I have a series of passwords, similar, but different so that my addled old brain can remember them... And it was one of those that the ISP had somehow "selected" to use as my OE password for me! Totally different to my original OE password... Out of curiosity I logged in using a selection of my favourites and 77 emails jumped into my OE window. Job done, but pure luck and password changed, surely, for ALL the wrong reasons and NOT by me? Once again, guys, thanks for all your help. I wonder if there are others who have this problem and wouldn't think to try another of their passwords?

Collapse -
Glad you got it sorted,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 6, 2011 8:39 PM PDT

and thanks for reporting back.

Now, if only I can solve my own web email access problem with VirginMedia. Sad

Seems someone there deleted a whole bunch of web email accounts. I still have my email client software access, (POP and SMTP), but not web access.

Looks like it's going to b a long and testing period for me on the phone to their Help Desk!

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.