Computer Help forum

General discussion

login lockup

by cobra513 / August 14, 2007 1:14 PM PDT

I have a gateway 450 rog laptop that likes to lockup at the login screen, it will say windows is loading but not give any login accounts to activate so you can get windows to load up. If you tap the enter button at just the right time you can get past this and to the account log in, but if you miss it or it doesn't make it that far on it's own, you have to do a hard shutdown and try again. Any ideas people. By the way there is only one logon account active.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: login lockup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: login lockup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
cobra513
by tomron / August 14, 2007 1:24 PM PDT
In reply to: login lockup

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem....

What is your OS,is it XP pro?

Have you run any scans?

Did you try last known good config?

Tom

Collapse -
lockup
by cobra513 / August 18, 2007 2:11 AM PDT
In reply to: cobra513

It is a Gateway model 450rog 1.4 ghz with windows XP pro, mobile radeon 7500, graphics card with 768mb ram. I have two of these laptops purchased used after being cleaned and refurbished. They were originally salesmens computers for a large company and they update to new ones and sell off the old ones every two years. The only difference between the two is one has no multiple user log on and boots up just fine. The one with multiple user log on only has one user activated. This is the one that locks up. Some times when you do get it to the log on there is a windows xp log in box that also appears with a warning saying it was unable to log you on to the system but when you click the user name on the main screen it logs you right in with no problem.

Collapse -
Try booting to the default ADMINISTRATOR account ...
by Edward ODaniel / August 18, 2007 5:45 AM PDT
In reply to: lockup

and see what happens. Corrupt user accounts can cause the symptoms you describe and are a VERY GOOD reason to maintain an additional Admin account on the computer.

If using the Classic interface when you press Ctrl+Alt+Del just type in ADMINISTRATOR for the user name then any password assigned (if you don't knoe the password try leaving it blank as some do leave the default account insecure). If you don't use the Classic Interface you simply press Ctrl+Alt+Del twice while at the welcome screen.

Collapse -
administrator account
by cobra513 / August 19, 2007 2:51 AM PDT

I tried the control alt delete and it did get me into the account log in that I think is causing the problem but I am unable to log into it. The user name is gateway and all forms of administrator or leaving password blank does not give me access.

Collapse -
(NT) Then you might consider re-installing the OS
by Edward ODaniel / August 20, 2007 12:12 PM PDT
In reply to: administrator account
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?