Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Logging off right after logging in!

Help! I can't log into my computer. It logs me off immediately after log in. I can't log in through safe mode either. I tried several suggestions from other forums, but nothing is working, including editing the registry key from my recovery CD. Any suggestions before I give up and reinstall the operating system and lose all my family pictures?!? I'm using Windows XP on a Dell Dimension 3000. I'm pretty handy with my computer, but I'm far from a "computer wiz" and don't uderstand some of the lingo, so step by step instructions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Logging off right after logging in!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Logging off right after logging in!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Lisa

In reply to: Logging off right after logging in!

One alternative is use the hard disk in another computer.

Get all the family pictures off that way before re-installing windows.

What was the last thing you did before it started this problem?

Thanks,

Mad.

Collapse -
hard disk

In reply to: Lisa

How do I do that? Sorry, for the ignorance. I wan't doing anything that caused it. I was on the night before, no problem, the next morning, I can't log in.

Thanks!
Lisa

Collapse -
Right.

In reply to: hard disk

I'm going to try and be general with this as I don't want to confuse you.

Your hard disk contains all of your information, pictures and vice versa.

The only way to get the information off of this hard disk is to take out the hard disk and put it in another machine.

Collapse -
hard disk type

In reply to: Right.

hi friend,
What type of hard disk you are using in your system....is it IDE or SATA hardisk

Collapse -
Computer

In reply to: Right.

Thank you, but I gave up and took it to the "Geek Squad" at Best Buy. They will back it up, then I will reload my operating system. I just couldn't take any more time, I need my computer NOW!

Collapse -
Well..

In reply to: Computer

You could of just done it yourself without paying any money.

Either way, glad it's resolved.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.