Question

Logging network (mostly internet) traffic of small home LAN

We have a small download limit every month and keep ramming into only days into our billing period. I am trying to identify the culprit but need to find a way to log the traffic of individual IP address (which are all static) on the network to figure out where all the bandwidth is going. Does anyone now a (preferably free) application that will allow me to monitor this?

Network Infrastructure:

Modem connected to NetGear N2000 (older model) Router 192.168.0.1
Family Desktop - 0.2 (Ethernet)
My Desktop - 0.3 (Powerline Ethernet)
Brothers Laptop - 0.5 (Wireless)
My PS3 - .0.30 (Wireless)
iPods - (Wireless)

Router only tells me when someone is on and can track total network traffic usage not individual hardware.

Any help will be MUCH appreciated.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Logging network (mostly internet) traffic of small home LAN
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Logging network (mostly internet) traffic of small home LAN
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
I just was involved in another thread ...
- Collapse -
Answer
Network monitor

There are many tools like the one mentioned above but it must run on each PC.

What you need is a device that can monitor all the PC. The only common point you have is the router or the connection to the ISP.

You could buy what is called a tap and place it on the cable between the ISP and the router. You would then run wireshark and capture the traffic. Wireshark has good reporting but can be tricky since it has many option. Although simple to setup it is not a cheap way to do this.

The method I would recommend even though it too is not free. Replace your router with a router that can run the open firmware called dd-wrt, mostly linksys. Then run the tool called rflow collector. This is very similar to a feature called netflow used in commercial routers. There are good instructions on how to set this up but it is still fairly complex.

It is fairly easy to get instantaneous data and some router/firewall will display open sessions to get historic type data you need to store the information and routers cannot do that.

CNET Forums