HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

log on windows xp user name password forgoten

by jekyll07 / January 21, 2006 1:01 AM PST

My user name and password will not work and I cannot log into my computer . Any ideas ? Is there a way of bypassing the log on prompt?

Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: log on windows xp user name password forgoten
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: log on windows xp user name password forgoten
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Interesting post?
by Eggman / January 21, 2006 1:24 AM PST

New member, no profile. no info about his system.
Makes me wonder? What about you?

Collapse -
Reply to your character analysis
by jekyll07 / January 21, 2006 1:57 AM PST
In reply to: Interesting post?

OK Dell pentium 4 . 256 K ram running a paid legitimate windows xp. I appreciate your concern but with new members you could be a little less suspicious. Just trying to get some help here. I had it set up with me as the administrator and in account profiles I changed something that when I logged back in I could not as it no longer recognized my password. I cannot remember what I did but now I am unable to get onto to my computer.

Thank you

Collapse -
Ouch...
by John.Wilkinson / January 21, 2006 2:13 AM PST

Here you have two options:

First, try logging in uder the administrator account if you remember that password. Also, a surprising large percentage of people never enter a password for the administrator account, so try leaving it blank when you log in. For the ability to log in as THE administrator, press ctrl+alt+delete a couple of times once you reach the login screen or boot your computer in Safe Mode by pressing F8 during boot.

If that fails, your only option is to pay through the nose, teeth, and anywhere else money can come out of you. Lostpassword.com can help, but they'll want about $200 for their services.

Of course, you could also hook your hard drive up as a slave to another computer, take ownership of the files, copy then to another drive, pop the hard drive back into your computer, reformat, and reinstall everything. If you would like to take that course, just post back and we'll give you a guideline for the rather tedious task.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
" I changed something"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2006 2:40 AM PST

What is this something?

And what version XP?

For XP HOME we always try safe mode.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.