Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

by jrr3 / December 17, 2004 7:08 AM PST

Today i was told that there were some window update to download and install so i did.
I then reset my pc as was told for it to take effect.
When it re-installs it comes to the windows password page which normally it doesn't as i only have 1 user and that doesnt have a password.
So i am now at the password screen and havent a clue what to enter, i have tried everything but it doesnt work.
I have also downloaded and tried the piece of software which most people recommend http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/
but this does not work instead it just lists lines of code and leaves a flashing icon where u cannot type anything or scroll up or down the page.
Can somebody PLEASE help me to get into my computer, as i really need to get into it for work this weekend.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Log In Password Problems PLEASE HELP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Log In Password Problems PLEASE HELP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you try
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 17, 2004 7:10 AM PST

just clicking OK on the password screen, ie leaving the password blank?

Mark

Collapse -
login prob
by jrr3 / December 17, 2004 7:17 AM PST
In reply to: Did you try

yes i have and no luck im afraid.
did it both in safe mode as the administrator and normally too.

Collapse -
Reset Lost Password
by mannyman / December 17, 2004 1:33 PM PST
In reply to: login prob
Collapse -
Still no good ;(
by jrr3 / December 17, 2004 5:43 PM PST
In reply to: Reset Lost Password

the first link you gave me only shows me the way i have already tried and gave the link in my initial message.
The 2nd way doesnt work as it asks you to repair windows, but when i do it, it still asks for a password before it installs, which it doesnt say happens on the link you gave me.
And the other suggestion from the link you gave me is to buy a programme worth 159 which i cant afford.

Surely if i have never used passwords before windows just put in a temporary password when i upgraded, which should be on a site or something
This is REALLY annoying me now.

Is there not a way to system restore or anything to before this happened without getting into windows???

Collapse -
If you can get into Safe Mode
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 17, 2004 7:32 PM PST
In reply to: Still no good ;(
Collapse -
;(
by jrr3 / December 17, 2004 8:17 PM PST

No i cant log in via safe mode, you still need to know the password.
ive tried to repair windows and once again you need the password.
Somebody told me to Ctrl Alt Del twice on the log in page which takes you to another page which it does.
And go in under the administrator using that as the password also, but that also does not work.

I cant believe that an automatic update can do this to my machine, i want to kill Bill Gates

Collapse -
In a previous thread
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 17, 2004 9:04 PM PST
In reply to: ;(

where a similar problem was posted, a web site was given which may have stated the problem similar to yours, and offered a solution. Other advice was also given in the thread.

However, the web site was given with some obvious reluctance, and I share that reluctance.

As the thread is freely searchable in these Forum's search box, I include the thread here;

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=49208&messageID=585485

Good luck, and keep us posted.

By the way, I know you believe this is the fault of Bill Gates and SP2, or whatever windows update you installed, but it is my experience and perhaps others in these forums that SP2 doesn't cause the problems, it only identifies existing ones.

I'm sure that doesn't help you at this particular and testing time though.

Mark

Collapse -
I agree
by glb613 / December 17, 2004 9:08 PM PST
In reply to: In a previous thread

"By the way, I know you believe this is the fault of Bill Gates and SP2, or whatever windows update you installed, but it is my experience and perhaps others in these forums that SP2 doesn't cause the problems, it only identifies existing ones."

And if the downloads alone were the cause of this, then everyone who downloaded those updates would be having the same problem. I recently downloaded several updates for XP and I didn't have a password page show up.

I sure hope you find a fix for your problem and soon. If you do get it running again, you really should check your computer for malware and other parasites.

Collapse -
Take the issue to the right doorstep.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 17, 2004 9:57 PM PST
In reply to: ;(

I have yet to find this issue occur due to a patch without some other MALWARE being present. SPYWARE has become virulent where it was for a long time just a pest.

It's much like what happens when you let a virus or trojan on your machine. The results can be as you are experiencing. SPYWARE is now producing the same glitches and your antivirus is not addressing the SPYWARE plague.

Sadly, running a PC got a lot harder in 2004.

The only complaint I could lodge is that ACTIVEX may have to go away to close this door of opportunity for the MALWARE writers.

I've posted numerous posts about:
1. Spyware (Anti-Parasite Suite).
2. Lost Passwords (Link just above).
3. The need for more than your account and one admin account for that day that you can't get in.

While I can't expect you to read all the posts in this board, my hope is that others trip over what bubbles up to the top as good stuff to know and use it. I also hope people share the stories with others to help stem the tide.

One last thing. I can safely bet you use Internet Explorer for most things. I'm losing this bet more often, but it is now not safe to use all the time. Usually it takes a major event like yours for people to consider change.

One last thing. And to recap what's in the other discussions. FIXES are:

1. http://www.lostpassword.com
2. A KNOPPIX to reclaim files you can't lose.
3. A new hard disk to install XP on. Add the old drive and use the File And Settings Transfer wizard to reclaim most things.
http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.php

Bob

Collapse -
Lost password solution
by mannyman / December 18, 2004 8:45 AM PST

This suggestion by Bob is your last resort Jrr. *3. A new hard disk to install XP on. Add the old drive and use the File And Settings Transfer wizard to reclaim most things*.

That's if you have your windows installation disk. I had a similar problem with a win2k machine. After a lot of researching, headache and not having the ability to buy expensive password recovery software my only option was re-installing windows on a new disk drive.

Collapse -
by dlgrimm / December 19, 2004 2:45 AM PST

This might be less expensive. what you need to do is on system start up depress the F1 key then the screen should appear allowing you to get in the administrator application using your admin password and when you have navigated to this change your windows password to blank.ie: nothing leave no info in the popup. What porobably happened is if you have never had a windows password then you would not have to put one in trying to do so in some cases depending on a lot of variables can have an undesired effect.
if this does not work you you can use your installation CD to try an boot into dos to a date before the problem occurred which will reset your computer to that date keeping in mind that all data worked on or saved after that date will be nonrecoverable. This will work only if you have not restarted your computer more than 5 times in which the date prior to the error will not appear. On another note if you have this computer backed up to a cd or other device then you can just simply restore the computer from that device noting that any material saved after the back-up was done will be most likely lost.
David Grimm

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.