Computer Help forum

General discussion

Lockups with a new system whilst playing a particular game.

I am currently having a problem with a game called Silent Hunter III/GWX (the 'Grey Wolves Expansion' mods package) on my recently upgraded system. I used to have a socket A system, I though it would be a great idea to upgrade to an AM2 system with DDRII 800. Unfortunately not as things turned out.

Old system:

Sempron 3000+ (socket A),
X2 Gb PC 3200 DDR,
ATI X800 XT,
Audigy 2,
Asrock K7VT9A-pro Mb,
X1 Maxtor SATA 1.5 Gb/s HDD,
Windows XP - Home (Service pack 1).

My current system:

AM2 AMD 64 Athlon 3200+
X2 Gb DDRII
ATI X800 XT
Audigy 2
MSI MB
X2 Maxtor SATA 1.50 Gb/s HDD.
Windows XP - Home (Service pack 1).

I am currently having a very similar sounding problem with SHIII / GWX on my recently upgraded system. I used to have a socket A sempron 3000+ with sata HDD and 2 Gb DDR. I though it would be a great idea to upgrade to an AM2 system with DDRII 800. Unfortunately not as things turned out.
The dvd, GWX setup files, mods and patches are exactly the same ones I used when I installed the game on my old system on which everything worked fine. Now, after between 30sec and four minutes, the whole system locks up completely. I thought this might just be a problem with the GWX installation or possibly some of the mods, but I have tried the stock 'vanilla' game with and without the 1.4b patch, sadly with the same result.
I have replaced all the GXW and mod files from different download sites incase they were corrupted. Both the HDD which I have tried the game on have been reformatted. I even went to the extent of stripping the system down and reassembling it and replacing the sata data cables. No improvement.
I thought possibly my Zone Alarm might be responsible, but it had caused no problems on my socket A system, so I couldn't see why it would start now. But I tried a fresh SHIII/GWXC installation after first uninstalling and stripping out any and all ZA files. With no improvement either. I have updated my MB chipset drivers, tried eight different versions of the Omega drivers, even though they worked fine on the old system. All my other games work fine such as Tomb Raider Legend, Myst 4 and 5 and others, no problems at all. The rest of the time my system works fine, no issues at all with any other applications or software. The O.S has been reloaded three times just in case.
Right the way through from vanilla to fully patched and modded GWX 1.03 the lock ups continued.
Is it just that SHIII/ GWX is incompatable with my system somehow or is there any way of fixing this. Please.......anyone

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lockups with a new system whilst playing a particular game.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lockups with a new system whilst playing a particular game.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry for the double post everyone, I'm new to this.

Sorry for the double post everyone, I'm new to this.

Collapse -
Suggestions..

In reply to: Lockups with a new system whilst playing a particular game.

First, I recommend installing Service Pack 2 on the machine. There are a number of system fixes in SP2 and it may help.. See the link below on how to do that:

Preparing Your Windows XP Computer For SP2

Although you mentioned the motherboard/chipset drivers, have you also updated all other drivers?.. I've seen an audio driver cause issues such as your's.

How much RAM? Tried removing all but one stick of RAM and running the game? If nothing, add a stick and check again, etc. It would run slower but if there's a problem with the RAM, it might show up with one of the sticks.

Next, you don't mention the power supply.. How big? 500+ Watts?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Locking This Thread

In reply to: Lockups with a new system whilst playing a particular game.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.