Desktops forum

General discussion

lockup when cold

When I first turn on the computer, it usually locks up when I start up my first application or two. Doesn't matter what application it is. Only 20% of the time does it lock-up while windows is still loading.

Soon as I reboot, the problem usually goes away.

With it getting colder lately, the problem occurs almost every time.

I'm thinking that its most likely the harddrive, needing to be warm for some reason?

Any simple fixes, or just need to swap the drive?

thanks
Dan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: lockup when cold
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: lockup when cold
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: lockup when cold = Visual inspection time.

In reply to: lockup when cold

This is not unusual for motherboards with domed or leaking capacitors. Time to look inside.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: lockup when cold

you know that's the same thing that happens to me. seems lik there isn't anybody with answers. let us know if you ever get an answer.

Collapse -
Re: lockup when cold

In reply to: Re: lockup when cold

Because its an intermit problem, these are hard to pinpoint. It looks like power in some way. Robert, mentioned the "bad cap" possibility and it could. One has to inspect componets for any obivous bulging caps or leaky ones. Plus, a bad crimp on a power connector, or a starting to fail power supply. In some cases, a creeping componet(socketed chips) or slot card can be intermit until warmed-up. reseat cards, push in chips and retest. There's no guarntee but its a slow process until found out if at all. Many users simply live with it until it becomes known or move on as they lived with it for too long and get a new system. That's how long some problems can last.

good luck Grin -----Willy

Collapse -
re. lockup on cold

i've moved everything around. swapped harddrives. changed memory slot. Don't see any bulges, not that I know where to exactly look.

But my computer lockup is way more frequent since it is cold now.

Which should I try first. A replacement motherboard, or power supply?

thanks
Dan

Collapse -
Site with pictures and text...

In reply to: re. lockup on cold

Here's one of many articles about the capacitor issue. These can exist on the motherboard or power supply.

http://home.earthlink.net/~doniteli/index27.htm

Let me perfectly clear on this issue. Those capacitors much be PERFECT! Any leak, bulge, crack, discoloration is the sign.

Bob

Collapse -
i think your right?

In reply to: Site with pictures and text...

thanks for the webpage. it was very informative.

I think I do have the buldge problem but not sure. I took a picture and posted it.

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/daniel_oliver/buldge.JPG

Could you tell me what you think? The caps look to be slightly open on the entire row of 8 of these.

dan

Collapse -
And they are leaking too. Brown spots on top.

In reply to: i think your right?

You've found the issue. If you want to know, some get the bum boards replaced free once they find out about the defective capacitors.

The problem is the issue only degrades from this point on.

Bob

Collapse -
Like to use picture reference???

In reply to: i think your right?

I like to save and use your .JPG picture as a reference, that OK?

Why, because its not as obivous as others have posted, and the whole row is done in. -----Willy

Collapse -
re: reference pictures

In reply to: Like to use picture reference???

yes thats fine.

Collapse -
Thank you

In reply to: re: reference pictures

BTW, upon relooking at that .jpg I did notice some dust on the heatsink. While it isn't that bad, if you're in the area, remove the fan and blow/brush out the dust build-up. Upon returning, don't over-tighten those screws. just my 2-cents and thanks again. Grin -----Willy

Collapse -
I see

I have a 1 year old Sony Vaio and it does the same thing. All I do is when the start up screen comes up, I just let it "do nothing" instead of quickly clicking on my user name. It hasn't frozen since.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.