Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Lockup on startup

by oiptoner / October 30, 2004 12:47 AM PDT

System was rebuilt about 8 months ago with new MOBO and video board and has operated with no problems. No new sofyware or updates have been added since then, and unit does not have an internet connection. Used solely as a business computer , primarily on databases. 4 GB hard drive still has over 3 GB free, and it has been defraged, etc. OS is WIN98.

Primarily on start up the system freezes on the MS password screen. Mouse will not operate and CNTL-ALT-DEL does not function. Unit must be reset to reboot. Have changed Mouse and asked OS to pick best Mouse Driver. System says Driver already in use is best. Sometimes system will start up properly, but then freeze after a few minutes use. Once system has operated for a longer period of time problem seems to go away. This is a critical machine so I need to solve this problem ASAP. Any ideas? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lockup on startup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lockup on startup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Lockup on startup
by Kees Bakker / October 30, 2004 7:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Lockup on startup

Oiptoner,

A virus is unlikely as you describe it. So the first thought is some hardware error, which will be difficult to find. Could be power supply not up to requirements of new mobo and video card (which will consume more power than the old ones), to name a possibility.

Try the clean boot troubleshooting procedures described in
See
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;192926&Product=w98
and
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324609&Product=w98
and see if you can find any pattern, like no problems if you don't load any particular driver. Then that driver, of the hardware that it serves, are suspected. But, of course, if it's power or heat or unreliable RAM you won't find any pattern.

As this is a critical machine, I assume you've got a good backup of the critical data on it. Then the worst could be the business has to buy a new computer, which is a rather normal business expense.

Hope this helps,

Kees

Collapse -
by oiptoner / November 15, 2004 5:09 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Lockup on startup

Started working through the steps recommended in the MS articles you listed. Unit would start in safe mode and I could go into msconfig so I was off to a running start, however, to make sure I had found the problem I had to let unit sit over night after each change. Every morning it was frozen and would not restart unless the unit was unplugged and then re-plugged in. Now I have a new problem. When I push the "ON" button the LED flashes and immediately goes out. There is then no power to the computer. I can find no domed capacitors so don't think heat is a problem. I often find there are simple solutions to these problems so don't want to opt for new MOBO unless necessary. Any ideas?

Collapse -
by oiptoner / November 16, 2004 4:03 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Lockup on startup

This part of the problem was solved with a new power supply. Old one was skimpy on power. Still working on original problem.

Collapse -
THE article.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2004 8:50 AM PDT
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q188867

But mind you that if your OS install was incomplete such as neglecting motherboard drivers, an USB device could inflict such pain EVEN IF!!! you didn't plug one in. At that age machine, failed or clogged fans (i.e. failed hardware!) could be an issue as well.

Happy hunting.

Bob
Collapse -
Sorry, that's the big clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2004 8:52 AM PDT

" Once system has operated for a longer period of time problem seems to go away. "

This is the typical complaint that leads us to open the case and look at the CAPACITORS for domed tops and leaking fluid. If you see this, then you ask the motherboard supplier to replace it.

Bob

Collapse -
Data base? Networked?
by reefurbb / October 31, 2004 9:25 PM PST

The point is that you can get a bug from the other networked machines. You still need an antivirus and antispy stuff.
Can u disconnect from the network and boot ok
Can you boot into Safe Mode and run awhile?
Even tho u can't do much, u can run scandisk and defrag and check some properties, especially Device Manager for yellow marks-problems.
Do this before running DOS "scandisk/restore".

Collapse -
Re: Data base? Networked?
by oiptoner / November 1, 2004 11:20 PM PST
In reply to: Data base? Networked?

Machine is not networked and I did check device manager. Right now we are leaving the machine on 24/7 and it has not had a problem. Problem seems to occur only on cold start-up or shortly thereafter.

Collapse -
Cold start issues are expensive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2004 11:32 PM PST

They usually point to motherboard or power supply issues. And once in awhile a bum card that doesn't like to start first thing in the morning. The first thing I do in such cases is check the power supply is not overtaxed then update the BIOS and retest.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Cold start issues are expensive.
by oiptoner / November 2, 2004 2:40 AM PST

Don't know if it changes your answer but the user just phoned to say he turned the unit off last night by accident. On re-start this morning everything worked fine, but after five hours of use the unit froze.

Collapse -
Re: Cold start issues are expensive.
by Cursorcowboy / November 2, 2004 3:41 AM PST

Kees and Robert have mentioned several area which should be checked, as well as questions which should have tickled your brain as to whether those updates had been accomplished, and I haven't read yet where you comment that something has actually been performed. The article [Q330181] explains the procedures for hopefully determining whether a hardware component is either damaged or is incompatible with WinXP.

Collapse -
Ammend that XP reference. .
by Cursorcowboy / November 2, 2004 3:48 AM PST

1. The article [Q188868] lists troubleshooting steps and provides information about how to use the System Information Utility (Msconfig.exe) to troubleshoot startup problems if your computer stops responding (hangs), or you receive an error message, such as a fatal exception error message or an invalid VxD error message. After restarting a computer several times, this tool can help isolate a specific file or registry entry causing a problem.

2. The article [Q149962] discusses problems that can occur when a computer fails to load or unload a virtual device driver (VxD) that may or may not be mentioned in the error message, and discusses a host of steps to troubleshoot the issue(s).

Collapse -
Hours later can be the usual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2004 3:54 AM PST

DOS based windows can run low on resources so an occasional reboot is not unusual since that issue was never resolved. A total lockup can be heat related so removing the case cover in most cases finds out if its a heat related issue. Finding what is heat sensitive can again be costly in a shop so I suggest you run without the cover to see if its heat related. As always, fans must run at proper speeds and not be filled with lint and dust.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!